The news comes after Warner Bros. prepares to settle an $80 million lawsuit with Tolkien's estate over profits from Jackson's film adaptations.
"The Lord of the Rings is a cultural phenomenon that has captured the imagination of generations of fans through literature and the big screen", said Sharon Tal Yguado, Head of Scripted Series at Amazon Studios.
Amazon Studios is teaming up with Tolkien's family estate, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema, a division of Warner Bros.More news: Wolfenstein II Sets Road Map for Downloadable Content
The new screen effort will transport fans to the fictional setting of Middle Earth as it explores new storylines preceding The Fellowship Of The Ring, the first part of Tolkien's fantasy trilogy.
The Lord of the Rings TV series is officially moving forward at Amazon as a prequel that will span a number of seasons. The Hobbit films are another story, of course, but again, Jackson's 18 hours or so of Tolkien adaptations aren't something I imagine any filmmaker or showrunner would be in a hurry to compete with.
Inc. said Monday that it has acquired the television rights to J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" fantasy stories for a multi-season series.More news: Government rolls out BharatNet Phase 2, aims 100% connectivity by 2020
The final part of that collection is called "Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age", which deal with the build up to the events of The Lord of the Rings novels. Amazon has been pretty good about its Originals, but this will be an undertaking far beyond the scope of anything its studios and partners have yet attempted. Still, in an age when Game of Thrones is dominating the cable landscape and Stranger Things is dominating the streaming world, it makes sense for Amazon to pursue a high-profile genre project like this.
What are your hopes for the LOTR series on Amazon?More news: 'Modern Day Maharaja' Jinder Mahal accepts Triple H's challenge for one-on-one match
- Not Delhi, Varanasi tops list of India's most polluted cities
- Walmart will open Thanksgiving, offer early discounts
- Sierra Nevada Corporation after glide test flight of Dream Chaser space plane
- Michael Bublé Has Just Announced A Huge Stadium Gig For Dublin
- Two militants killed in Jammu and Kashmir
- Majority of Utah's hate crime is race-related, Federal Bureau of Investigation says
- Hardik Patel says viral video is morphed, BJP is playing dirty games
- Ryan murder: 'Juvenile left knife in toilet, called teachers'
- Brady: House Won't Accept Repeal of State, Local Tax Deductions
- Sudanese president to visit Uganda next Tuesday