Based on characteristic neuropathological findings, Dr. McKee concluded that Mr. Hernandez had chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), Stage 3 out of 4, (Stage 4 being the most severe).
Researchers at the Boston University School of Medicine CTE Center released scans of the brain of Aaron Hernandez following a post-mortem stud on Thursday..
Hernandez, who in April died by suicide in prison while serving a life sentence for the murder of Odin Lloyd, was suffering from a "severe" case of CTE at the time of his death, Boston University CTE Center director Dr. Ann McKee revealed in September.More news: ATC to Buy Tower Assets From Vodafone, Idea for $1.2 Billion
However, researchers say they could not determine if the damage to the former New England Patriot's brain directly impacted his judgment, emotions and decision-making. CTE is caused by repetitive brain trauma that often comes with professional football playing.
This graphic shows the classic features of CTE in the brain of Mr. Hernandez.
After Hernandez's CTE diagnosis, his attorneys filed a lawsuit against the NFL and football helmet maker Riddell, accusing them of failing to warn Hernandez about the dangers of football.More news: Final Fantasy 15's Noctis is the next DLC character for Tekken 7
While the outside of Hernandez's brain appeared normal, the inside was riddled with CTE, said McKee, who showed images of Hernandez's brain next to those of a typical 27-year-old.
According to the AP, McKee did not say Hernandez's behavior was a result of CTE, but McKee did say the frontal lobe of Hernandez's brain had substantial damage. The lawsuit, which seeks damages for Hernandez's young daughter, said he experienced a "chaotic and horrendous existence" because of his disease. In addition, Mr. Hernandez had early brain atrophy and large perforations in the septum pellucidum, a central membrane.More news: North Korean soldier shot while defecting to South Korea
- Samsung Galaxy A5(2018) leaked, here is what we know
- 'Short and fat': Trump's North Korea bluster during Asia trip
- Salman Khan Shares First Look Of Race 3, Twitter Can't Keep Calm!
- PS4 Black Friday sales include PSVR with biggest price cuts yet
- Jelena Dokic reveals years of abuse suffered at hands of father
- Android 8.1 reduces Inactive Apps size to offer more storage space
- Moto X4 India launch slated for today
- Rowan Atkinson to become father again at 62
- Defender undergoes medical treatment ahead of Newcastle v Manchester United
- Cole Kelley arrested for DWI