He said by videoconference from Geneva that it's time to move on the political track to end the Syrian conflict and "now is the moment of truth".
Syria and its opposition will engage in a new round of talks at the end of next month, the UN's envoy to Syria announced Thursday.
"The reign of the Assad family is coming to an end", Tillerson said on October 26 after meeting in Geneva with the United Nations' Syria envoy, Staffan de Mistura.More news: Mizuho Boosts Seagate Technology PLC (STX) Price Target to $39.00
Russia-backed Syrian government forces as well as US -backed, Kurdish-led troops have recently significantly reduced territory controlled by Daesh across Syria.
America's top diplomat said that an exit of Assad should be done through the Geneva process led by de Mistura, but that such a departure was not a "prerequisite" for that process to start.
Tillerson said the only reason Assad's forces had succeeded in turning the tide in the more than six-year war was "air support they have received from Russia".More news: U.S. offshore wind momentum sparks competition among state leaders & businesses
Tillerson said Iran, Assad's other main ally, should not be seen as having made the difference in the defeat of Islamic State in Syria.
He downplayed remarks by some critics that recent government battlefield gains represent a "triumph" for Iran. "Iran has not been successful; the Russian government has been more successful".
Staffan de Mistura told the Security Council on Thursday that he hopes a meeting in Kazakhstan's capital Astana on October 30-31 co-sponsored by Turkey, Iran and Russian Federation will "prevent further unraveling of interim de-escalation and cease-fire arrangements" in Syria.More news: The Twin Capital Management Inc. Sold shares of Coca-Cola Co. (KO)
"I see Iran as a hanger-on", Tillerson said.
- European Union opens probe into United Kingdom tax scheme for multinationals
- Martina Hingis will retire next week (for the third time) — WTA Finals
- Confirmed: Darrell Wallace Jr. to drive No. 43 RPM Ford in 2018
- Church invites families to sixth Community Fall Festival
- Anthony Joshua: Time to put Wladimir Klitschko win aside vs. Carlos Takam
- Technical Signals in View for American Eagle Outfitters (AEO)
- The Charles Schwab Corporation (SCHW)
- Jennifer Lawrence's Relationship with Chris Pratt Made Anna Faris "Insecure"
- Ex-judge is first to be sentenced in FIFA scandal
- Inflation rate at rises to 0.6 percent, weaker than expected