Apple slipped 0.7 percent after report that the company would settle for half its planned iPhone X shipments this year.
3M Company, another Dow component, also reported upbeat quarterly results Tuesday.
The industrial, safety and consumer products company reported third-quarter earnings of 2.33 dollars per share, an increase of 8.4 percent versus the third quarter of 2016, with sales of 8.2 billion dollars, up 6.0 percent year-on-year.
Despite the gains, a measure of 30-day volatility known as the CBOE VIX (NYSEARCA:VXX) was little changed on Tuesday.More news: How Insiders and Institutions are Trading Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (WBA)
The Dow Jones Industrials Average is pushing further into record territory on the heels of a wave of better-than-expected corporate earnings updates.
S&P 500 e-minis were up 2.5 points, or 0.1 percent, with 109,088 contracts traded.
3M jumped 4.7 percent on better-than-expected earnings, while Caterpillar rose 4.9 percent after handily beating profit and sales estimates and raising its full-year forecast.
That and rising hopes of President Donald Trump's tax plans moving forward have helped the Dow and S&P close at record highs on all five trading days last week.More news: Cypress Semiconductor Corporation (NASDAQ:CY): Financial Health and Analyst Ratings
Biogen slipped 6 percent after the company reported disappointing USA sales of Spinraza, a potential blockbuster drug.
Centene dipped about 4 percent after saying that White House moves to cut off Obamacare subsidies would knock 7-12 cents per share off the health insurer's fourth-quarter earnings. US stocks are poised to continue down the path of record-setting gains as the holiday season approaches.
That along with a 1.5 percent drop in Johnson & Johnson and a 2.5 percent decline in AbbVie made the healthcare index the worst performer among the S&P sectors.
Whirlpool tumbled almost 9 percent after the home appliances maker reported profit and sales below estimates and lowered full-year earnings guidance.More news: Do gun shows in Nevada increase injuries and deaths in CA?
Advancing issues outnumbered declining ones on the NYSE by a 1.36-to-1 ratio; on Nasdaq, a 1.44-to-1 ratio favored advancers. On the Nasdaq, 1,616 issues rose and 1,191 fell.
- The real reason why No. 1 pick Markelle Fultz can't shoot
- HTC Teases U11 Plus Launch For The November 2 Event
- Bear suffering from mysterious illness has giant 3kg tongue removed by vets
- Harvey Weinstein 'orally forced himself on me' claims aspiring production worker
- Thumri Queen Girija Devi Dies At 88 In Kolkata
- Destiny 2 is now available on PC
- 'Veere Di Wedding' first look has turned up the heat this October
- TiVo Bolt Vox DVR Now Supports Voice Commands
- Google Lens rolling out to first-gen Pixel and Pixel XL
- The real cost of climate change in the United States