"On October 12, we began activities to establish observation posts", the military said in a statement.
Turkish troops have crossed into Syria's Idlib province to monitor de-escalation zones that aim to bring an end to the six-and-a-half-year conflict, the military said Friday.
The convoy included about 30 military vehicles, said Abu Khairo, a commander in a Free Syrian Army (FSA) rebel group based in the area, and it entered Syria near the Bab al-Hawa border crossing, according to a civilian witness.More news: Metlife (MET) Analysts See $1.04 EPS; Cullen Has 1.31 Sentiment
"The elements of Turkish armed forces are continuing ir duties in region within framework of agreed engagement rules by Guarantor countries during Astana process", statement said. Three other de-escalation zones are now operating in south-western Syria, eastern Ghouta (suburbs of Damascus) and northern Homs province. The deployment is also meant to rein in the Kurdish YPG militia, which holds the adjacent Afrin region, Reuters quoted a senior rebel official involved in the operation as saying.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan had on Saturday announced that pro-Ankara rebels backed by the Turkish army would lead the military campaign against the Hayat Tahrir al-Sham jihadist coalition in the northwestern Syrian province.More news: Unbeaten Devils end Maple Leafs' ideal start with 6-3 win
The last time Turkish forces were engaged in Syria was in August, when Turkey launched its eight-month-long Euphrates Shield operation against jihadists and Kurdish militia in the northern Syrian province of Aleppo.
The fourth de-escalation zone includes Idlib but also parts of the neighbouring Latakia, Hama and Aleppo regions.More news: China's Sept imports from N.Korea down 37.9% as United Nations sanctions bite
- Tom Brady Misses Practice Due To Shoulder Injury
- Gambit movie has a new release date
- Delhi Supreme Court' gets Juhi Chawla a lesson on Twitter
- Injured RB Ty Montgomery appears close to return for Packers
- NNPC Scandal: I Only Approved 2 JV Financing Arrangements Not Contracts - Osinbajo
- Verdict On Ban On Women's Entry In Sabarimala Temple Today
- Who is involved, which teams are seeded and when are the matches?
- Teacher Retirement System of Texas Purchases 21705 Shares of Starbucks Corporation (SBUX)
- The New Mutants assemble in tense first teaser
- BMW to outsource China mini auto making to Great Wall