New Orleans police officer was shot and killed early Friday morning.
"This hurts", Harrison said. "This hurts. I can't begin to tell you how much this hurts". "I've had to console our officers. tonight and this family because we're all grieving".
New Orleans Police Officer Shot And Killed
The officer, assigned to New Orleans' 7th District, was on routine patrol along with three other officers shortly after midnight. Harrison didn't immediately elaborate on what they observed.
The fallen officer, who had suffered multiple gunshot wounds, was rushed to an area hospital where he passed away, Harrison told reporters outside the hospital. The officer was taken to University Medical Center, where he died. The officer was able to shoot the suspect, who retreated into a nearby apartment and was eventually captured by a S.W.A.T. Team.More news: China's Sept imports from N.Korea down 37.9% as United Nations sanctions bite
There was a large police presence in an apartment complex near where the shooting happened.
Police were evacuating residents from apartments near the scene as the situation developed. Harrison says the officer's identity is not being revealed at this time.More news: S.Africa court clears way for Zuma graft prosecution
Harrison and Landrieu both said they met with the family of the slain officer at the hospital early Friday.
"Our worst nightmares have come to be", Landrieu said.More news: NAB team likely to visit London to collect evidence against Sharif family
- Injured RB Ty Montgomery appears close to return for Packers
- Metlife (MET) Analysts See $1.04 EPS; Cullen Has 1.31 Sentiment
- Unbeaten Devils end Maple Leafs' ideal start with 6-3 win
- No boys for Girl Scouts in area
- Nadal and Federer cruise in Shanghai
- The New Mutants assemble in tense first teaser
- Life Is Strange: Before The Storm Episode 2 arrives this month
- Microsoft Edge Preview for Android Hits Google Play
- Samsung brings in Silicon Valley expert to make Bixby relevant
- Rishard Matthews will leave NFL if told to stand for national anthem