New Orleans police officer was shot and killed early Friday morning.
"This hurts", Harrison said. "This hurts. I can't begin to tell you how much this hurts". "I've had to console our officers. tonight and this family because we're all grieving".
New Orleans cop dies in line of duty, mayor says
The officer, assigned to New Orleans' 7th District, was on routine patrol along with three other officers shortly after midnight. Harrison didn't immediately elaborate on what they observed.
The fallen officer, who had suffered multiple gunshot wounds, was rushed to an area hospital where he passed away, Harrison told reporters outside the hospital. The officer was taken to University Medical Center, where he died. The officer was able to shoot the suspect, who retreated into a nearby apartment and was eventually captured by a S.W.A.T. Team.More news: Metlife (MET) Analysts See $1.04 EPS; Cullen Has 1.31 Sentiment
There was a large police presence in an apartment complex near where the shooting happened.
Police were evacuating residents from apartments near the scene as the situation developed. Harrison says the officer's identity is not being revealed at this time.More news: Delhi Supreme Court' gets Juhi Chawla a lesson on Twitter
Harrison and Landrieu both said they met with the family of the slain officer at the hospital early Friday.
"Our worst nightmares have come to be", Landrieu said.More news: Rishard Matthews will leave NFL if told to stand for national anthem
- China's Sept imports from N.Korea down 37.9% as United Nations sanctions bite
- Who is involved, which teams are seeded and when are the matches?
- Turkey army says installing 'observation posts' in Syria
- NAB team likely to visit London to collect evidence against Sharif family
- Unbeaten Devils end Maple Leafs' ideal start with 6-3 win
- Robert Pattinson splits from FKA Twigs after three years together
- Dragon Age creative director Mike Laidlaw has left BioWare after 14 years
- BMW to outsource China mini auto making to Great Wall
- Tom Brady Misses Practice Due To Shoulder Injury
- Canada Quality Mix Ishares ETF (QCAN): Following the Numbers