The pod quickly lifts above the track using magnetic levitation and glides at airline speeds for long distances due to ultra-low aerodynamic drag.
In 2013, Musk pitched an idea for entrepreneurs to create a massive vacuum tube that could one day transport someone from Los Angeles to NY in 45 minutes.More news: 91-year-old man dies after Brooklyn home invasion
"Ever since our creation, Virgin has been known for disruption and investing in innovative companies", said Branson.
A spokeswoman from Hyperloop One didn't respond to a request for comment on the new funding round.
The technology for Hyperloop One is now in the early stages of the commercialisation phase after the successful completion of the world's first full scale hyperloop systems test at the DevLoop site outside Las Vegas.More news: Auburn hires law firm to investigate academic misconduct allegations
First pitched in 2013 by Tesla CEO Elon Musk, the ambitious idea for a hyperloop system (Musk himself is considering building a hyperloop of his own) involves a series of tubes that transport pods using magnetic levitation in a vacuum-sealed environment.
Neither has had a smooth ride, however.
The entire field was shaken by the announcement in July that Elon Musk meant to build his own Hyperloop after all. In July, Musk - who isn't involved in Hyperloop One - revealed on Twitter that he'd received "verbal government approval" to build a hyperloop capable of ferrying passengers between NY and Washington in 29 minutes.More news: General Electric Company (GEC.L) Sees The Tape Move Mid-Market
But Hyperloop One has not been without controversy. "There remains a challenge of cost both in terms of design, production and maintainability with figures initially quoted from the team already escalating". In the United Kingdom we would not be able to use any existing transport corridors at these speeds due to their lateral curvature.
- My Firsthand Account of the Devastating Northern California Fires in My Hometown
- Tata Communications in talks to buy Tata Teleservices' enterprise business
- Samsung's Latest Robot Vacuum Looks Like Darth Vader
- Peculiar dwarf planet Haumea found to have rings around it
- Southwest plans flights to Hawaii beginning in 2018
- Domino's Pizza, Inc. (DPZ) Q3 Earnings Top Estimates As Comps, Locations Grow
- Are Analysts Bullish Canadian National Railway (USA) (NYSE:CNI) After Last Week?
- Duterte names PDEA as 'sole agency' for drug war
- Swiss open criminal case against ex-FIFA official Valcke, beIN CEO
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal's blue WagonR stolen