The former president's tone and approach will be closely watched.
File-This Sept. 19, 2017, file photo shows Virginian gubernatorial candidate Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam mingling at the debate in McLean, Va.
Former Vice President Joe Biden will campaign on Saturday with Ralph Northam, the Democratic nominee for governor of Virginia.More news: Syrian FM says United States coalition sparing IS in Syria
But the Northam event, a rally set for October 19 in Richmond, marks Obama's first appearance at a public, political campaign event.
Obama has always been expected to campaign for Northam this fall, although he has mostly tried to stay above the political fray since leaving office. Northam attended a fundraising event last week in NY with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and late last week President Donald Trump tweeted his first direct endorsement of Gillespie.
Finding common ground on a few issues, Gillespie and Northam both said they want a pay raise for Virginia teachers. The RealClearPolitics polling average puts Northam about 7 points ahead of the former Republican National Committee chair. Gillespie has largely kept Trump at an arm's distance throughout much of the campaign and has declined to say whether he would invite Trump to campaign with him.More news: Comprehensive Stock Analysis Of Celsion Corp. (CLSN)
President Donald Trump endorsed the Republican candidate, Ed Gillespie, in a tweet Thursday, saying that Northam "is fighting for the violent MS-13 killer gangs & sanctuary cities".
There's also a race for governor of New Jersey this November that Democrats are expected to win (a special election for an open Senate seat in Alabama won't be held until December).More news: Pitt Greensburg students react to former classmate's murder charges
- California Wildfires Halt Production on Netflix's Drama '13 Reasons Why'
- Commissioners Court: October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month in Hays County
- Vipshop Holdings Ltd -'s (VIPS) "Buy" Rating Reaffirmed at Jefferies Group LLC
- GIC IPO subscribed 0.75 times
- Taking a Fresh Look at Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. (HMNY)
- BlackBerry Motion is an All-Touch Smartphone
- Z Might Buy Harvey Weinstein's Shares in the Weinstein Company
- Paul Scholes interviewed for manager's job at Oldham
- Taiwan monopoly regulator fines Qualcomm more than $770M
- PFAW Response to McConnell Comments on Changing Blue Slip Process