The former president's tone and approach will be closely watched.
File-This Sept. 19, 2017, file photo shows Virginian gubernatorial candidate Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam mingling at the debate in McLean, Va.
Former Vice President Joe Biden will campaign on Saturday with Ralph Northam, the Democratic nominee for governor of Virginia.More news: Why US officials fear North Korea could launch missile today
But the Northam event, a rally set for October 19 in Richmond, marks Obama's first appearance at a public, political campaign event.
Obama has always been expected to campaign for Northam this fall, although he has mostly tried to stay above the political fray since leaving office. Northam attended a fundraising event last week in NY with former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, and late last week President Donald Trump tweeted his first direct endorsement of Gillespie.
Finding common ground on a few issues, Gillespie and Northam both said they want a pay raise for Virginia teachers. The RealClearPolitics polling average puts Northam about 7 points ahead of the former Republican National Committee chair. Gillespie has largely kept Trump at an arm's distance throughout much of the campaign and has declined to say whether he would invite Trump to campaign with him.More news: Paul Scholes interviewed for manager's job at Oldham
President Donald Trump endorsed the Republican candidate, Ed Gillespie, in a tweet Thursday, saying that Northam "is fighting for the violent MS-13 killer gangs & sanctuary cities".
There's also a race for governor of New Jersey this November that Democrats are expected to win (a special election for an open Senate seat in Alabama won't be held until December).More news: GIC IPO subscribed 0.75 times
- Comprehensive Stock Analysis Of Celsion Corp. (CLSN)
- (CZR) Shares now down at $12.65 Caesars Entertainment Organizes $2…
- PFAW Response to McConnell Comments on Changing Blue Slip Process
- Delhi Congress demands probe into Jay's company
- Pitt Greensburg students react to former classmate's murder charges
- Smoke from wildfires prompts health caution
- California Wildfires Halt Production on Netflix's Drama '13 Reasons Why'
- Hackers steal Joint Strike Fighter plans during cyber attack
- Researchers Wonder Why a Giant Hole Keeps Opening Up in Antarctica
- AMC Entertainment Holdings (AMC) Receives News Impact Rating of 0.05