The State Department says the U.S.is pulling out of UNESCO because of what Washington sees as its anti-Israel bias and need for "fundamental reform" of the United Nations cultural agency.
UNESCO Director General Irina Bokova said she received official notification from Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, adding she expressed "profound regret at the decision of the United States of America to withdraw from UNESCO".
The US State Department confirmed the country is officially withdrawing from UNESCO, the UN's cultural body it helped found back in 1945.More news: U.S. destroys relations with Moscow: Russia
Paris-based UNESCO, which began work in 1946, is known for designating World Heritage sites such as the ancient city of Palmyra in Syria and the Grand Canyon National Park.
According to the American Foreign Policy news site, the White House is planning to pull out of UNESCO in an attempt to save money and due to the United Nations body's anti-Israel bias.
It is not the first time the US has withdrawn.More news: India's industrial growth clocks nine-month high of 4.3% in August
It says the withdrawal will take effect December 31, 2018.
A plan to withdraw from the global body was reportedly made several weeks ago, with US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson informing French President Emmanuel Macron of America's imminent departure.
The officials, who were not authorized to be publicly named discussing the issue, said U.S.is notably angry over UNESCO resolutions denying Jewish connections to holy sites and references to Israel as an occupying power. The withdrawal was confirmed Thursday by USA officials speaking on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to be publicly named discussing the decision.More news: The Evil Within 2 gets creepy launch trailer
If it does withdraw from UNESCO, the USA would remain as an observer state in meetings. The move was announced by Heather Nauert, spokesperson of the state department.
- Aarushi Talwar murder case verdict today: All you should know
- JP Morgan Chase & Co (JPM) Shares Bought by Private Wealth Partners LLC
- United States deploys 'NUKE SNIFFER' plane as Trump's bombers fly over Korean peninsula
- Pak Army recovers family of foreigners kept as hostage: ISPR
- Duterte names PDEA as 'sole agency' for drug war
- Quarterly EPS Forecast Review: Dynagas LNG Partners LP (DLNG)
- Hollywood male actors support Weinstein victims, tell own sexual assault stories
- Stock In Spotlight: Axalta Coating Systems Ltd. (NYSE:AXTA)
- Apple Rumoured to be Developing Foldable OLED iPhone with LG
- Sergio Aguero coy on Manchester City return date