That's the assumption after Tuesday's unthinkable result in Couva, Trinidad and Tobago, where the host shocked Team USA, 2-1. We're building a good system in our professional league.
Following the loss, ESPN soccer analyst Taylor Twellman went on an epic rant blasting U.S. soccer as a whole. We have players playing overseas of a certain quality. Few expressed their frustration more effectively than former New England Revolution forward Taylor Twellman.
"If this failure does not wake up everyone from U.S Soccer to Major League Soccer to 'pay to play" [youth soccer], to broadcasters, everything, then we are all insane, ' said Twellman.More news: Boy Scouts to recruit girls
'I would love to see one of these hotshot teams from Europe come here and play in our CONCACAF qualifying and really get a taste of this and see what that's about, ' Arena said.
At the time it likely seemed like a safe investment as the US had qualified for every World Cup since 1990 and is considered to have a manageable path through CONCACAF.
U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati, who is expected to face a challenge to his leadership with two potential candidates having expressed an interest in standing against him in the next elections, also questioned the need for change.More news: Jordan Brand ending Carmelo Anthony's signature-shoe line
He then called for accountability from every level of soccer in the U.S. While he stopped short of saying he has the exact answers, he demanded change.
Arena, whose contract runs out in July, did not resume his role with U.S. Soccer under the best circumstances last November.
The failure of the United States men's team to qualify for next year's World Cup will not impact on Fox Sports's plans to televise the tournament, a right for which it paid $200 million, the network said on Wednesday.More news: Virginia governor candidates face off in final debate
And among other gloomy initial reactions, Wall Street Journal Europe Sports Editor Joshua Robinson wrote that the failure to qualify is "a disaster for the growth of the game domestically, and for the US broadcaster 21st Century Fox".
- Galaxy Note 8 Market Share Has Already Reached 1% in Vital Markets
- Traders Sell Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) on Strength Following Analyst Downgrade
- JetBlue Airways Corporation (NASDAQ: JBLU)
- Comprehensive Stock Analysis Of Celsion Corp. (CLSN)
- Dollar Tree, Inc. (DLTR) Position Increased by Mason Street Advisors LLC
- District Attorney Defends Decision Not to Prosecute Harvey Weinstein
- Researchers Wonder Why a Giant Hole Keeps Opening Up in Antarctica
- Paul Scholes interviewed for manager's job at Oldham
- Trump says Iran deal decision coming 'very shortly'
- Cliffs Inc. (NYSE:CLF) Pressured Under Trend Lines