"We anticipate fares will drop", said Andrew Watterson, executive vice president and chief revenue officer for the airline.
Southwest has long spoken of plans to begin flights to Hawaii, making it clear that it was only a matter of when, not if, they serve the destination. "We know we'll get through the FAA process in time to sell tickets next year, but until the FAA gives us better indications of the authorization timeline, we're not going to speculate and put a date out there".More news: Sergio Aguero coy on Manchester City return date
The company hasn't yet released plans for the flights or how Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport plays into them; however, a quick look at flight plans shows only one airline, Delta, offering direct non-stop flights between Atlanta and the Aloha State.
Southwest President Tom Nealon and Gov. David Ige made the joint announcement via satellite from Waikiki Beach behind the Royal Hawaiian to an estimated 10,000 Southwest employees at a company party at Universal Studios in Los Angeles.
"Our seat-mile costs are below (other airlines serving Hawaii) and we will offer lower fares than now are in the marketplace". "Low costs come from very efficient operations. We're ready and excited to address a request we've heard for years", said Kelly.More news: JP Morgan Chase & Co (JPM) Shares Bought by Private Wealth Partners LLC
Southwest Airlines is now the third-busiest carrier in the USA, and a study by the University of Virginia this year found that Southwest still has the power to force its rivals to lower fares to stay competitive.
The carrier doesn't charge a fee to change flights and allows up to two checked bags for free within the size and weight limits.
"They're cheaper, especially if you do the checked bags". They are always friendly. But earlier this month it became the first US carrier to take delivery of the new Boeing 737 Max, a longer range version of Boeing's workhorse single aisle jet.More news: 91-year-old man dies after Brooklyn home invasion
But in August, Watterson, said Hawaii routes would make the airline even more useful to West Coast residents. We're thrilled to share our intention to bring our world-famous hospitality and value to the Hawaiian Islands!
- Apple placing bets on LG's display for an upcoming foldable smartphone
- Duterte names PDEA as 'sole agency' for drug war
- This actress to star opposite Hrithik, Tiger Shroff in Siddharth Anand's next
- Chris Johnson's Forecast | Showers and storms set to increase
- Apple Rumoured to be Developing Foldable OLED iPhone with LG
- SL Green Realty Corp's (NYSE:SLG) Sentiment is 1.03
- Greek Court Agrees To Send Russian Cybersuspect Sought By US To Russia
- Aarushi Talwar murder case verdict today: All you should know
- Transnet suspends vessel movement at Port of Durban
- 'FEMA cannot stay in Puerto Rico forever!'