"We anticipate fares will drop", said Andrew Watterson, executive vice president and chief revenue officer for the airline.
Southwest has long spoken of plans to begin flights to Hawaii, making it clear that it was only a matter of when, not if, they serve the destination. "We know we'll get through the FAA process in time to sell tickets next year, but until the FAA gives us better indications of the authorization timeline, we're not going to speculate and put a date out there".More news: 91-year-old man dies after Brooklyn home invasion
The company hasn't yet released plans for the flights or how Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport plays into them; however, a quick look at flight plans shows only one airline, Delta, offering direct non-stop flights between Atlanta and the Aloha State.
Southwest President Tom Nealon and Gov. David Ige made the joint announcement via satellite from Waikiki Beach behind the Royal Hawaiian to an estimated 10,000 Southwest employees at a company party at Universal Studios in Los Angeles.
"Our seat-mile costs are below (other airlines serving Hawaii) and we will offer lower fares than now are in the marketplace". "Low costs come from very efficient operations. We're ready and excited to address a request we've heard for years", said Kelly.More news: Apple Rumoured to be Developing Foldable OLED iPhone with LG
Southwest Airlines is now the third-busiest carrier in the USA, and a study by the University of Virginia this year found that Southwest still has the power to force its rivals to lower fares to stay competitive.
The carrier doesn't charge a fee to change flights and allows up to two checked bags for free within the size and weight limits.
"They're cheaper, especially if you do the checked bags". They are always friendly. But earlier this month it became the first US carrier to take delivery of the new Boeing 737 Max, a longer range version of Boeing's workhorse single aisle jet.More news: Aarushi Talwar murder case verdict today: All you should know
But in August, Watterson, said Hawaii routes would make the airline even more useful to West Coast residents. We're thrilled to share our intention to bring our world-famous hospitality and value to the Hawaiian Islands!
- Category 1 Hurricane Ophelia grows stronger in Atlantic Ocean
- Transnet suspends vessel movement at Port of Durban
- United States to pull out of UNESCO
- Apple placing bets on LG's display for an upcoming foldable smartphone
- 3 people fatally shot in southern OH , 8-year-old missing
- Greek Court Agrees To Send Russian Cybersuspect Sought By US To Russia
- General Electric Company (GEC.L) Sees The Tape Move Mid-Market
- Pak Army recovers family of foreigners kept as hostage: ISPR
- Apple, NBC Partner For Spielberg's 'Amazing Stories'
- United States deploys 'NUKE SNIFFER' plane as Trump's bombers fly over Korean peninsula