"The pollution is so high it's comparable to high pollution days in China", says Lisa Fasano at the Bay Area Air Quality Management District. The alert is in effect until Wednesday.
Air pollution in Bay Area counties this week has been the worst since 1999 when officials began collecting data. Advisories are due to the North Bay wildfires still burning in Northern California.More news: BlackBerry Motion is an All-Touch Smartphone
Wildfires raging throughout California's wine country have ravaged more than 170,000 acres and killed 21 people so far, with hundreds missing.
The National Weather Service Weather Prediction Center tweeted a satellite image Wednesday afternoon showing smoke drifting across the region. Particle pollution can cause asthma attacks and acute bronchitis, aggravate lung disease and increase the chances of respiratory infections. People with heart or lung diseases should follow their doctor's advice for dealing with episodes of unhealthy air quality.More news: Vipshop Holdings Ltd -'s (VIPS) "Buy" Rating Reaffirmed at Jefferies Group LLC
Residents living dozens of miles from the fire zone, including San Francisco and San Jose, have complained about the smell of smoke since the fires broke out late Sunday night. Usually the Bay Area benefits from a natural air conditioning system with winds blowing in off the coast and carrying the air inland. Residents in Napa, Solano and Sonoma counties should try to stay inside buildings with air conditioning.
The district recommends parents and school administrators to check the air quality map provided by the Environmental Protection Agency before allowing children outdoors.More news: Why US officials fear North Korea could launch missile today
The air district issued issued the Valley-wide alert because of the fine particles that are found in smoky skies.
- Delhi Congress demands probe into Jay's company
- AMC Entertainment Holdings (AMC) Receives News Impact Rating of 0.05
- Syrian FM says United States coalition sparing IS in Syria
- PFAW Response to McConnell Comments on Changing Blue Slip Process
- Z Might Buy Harvey Weinstein's Shares in the Weinstein Company
- Pitt Greensburg students react to former classmate's murder charges
- California Wildfires Halt Production on Netflix's Drama '13 Reasons Why'
- Taiwan monopoly regulator fines Qualcomm more than $770M
- GIC IPO subscribed 0.75 times
- Taking a Fresh Look at Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. (HMNY)