"The pollution is so high it's comparable to high pollution days in China", says Lisa Fasano at the Bay Area Air Quality Management District. The alert is in effect until Wednesday.
Air pollution in Bay Area counties this week has been the worst since 1999 when officials began collecting data. Advisories are due to the North Bay wildfires still burning in Northern California.More news: Harvey Weinstein Addresses Georgina Chapman's Decision to Leave Him
Wildfires raging throughout California's wine country have ravaged more than 170,000 acres and killed 21 people so far, with hundreds missing.
The National Weather Service Weather Prediction Center tweeted a satellite image Wednesday afternoon showing smoke drifting across the region. Particle pollution can cause asthma attacks and acute bronchitis, aggravate lung disease and increase the chances of respiratory infections. People with heart or lung diseases should follow their doctor's advice for dealing with episodes of unhealthy air quality.More news: Taking a Fresh Look at Helios and Matheson Analytics Inc. (HMNY)
Residents living dozens of miles from the fire zone, including San Francisco and San Jose, have complained about the smell of smoke since the fires broke out late Sunday night. Usually the Bay Area benefits from a natural air conditioning system with winds blowing in off the coast and carrying the air inland. Residents in Napa, Solano and Sonoma counties should try to stay inside buildings with air conditioning.
The district recommends parents and school administrators to check the air quality map provided by the Environmental Protection Agency before allowing children outdoors.More news: Four Years Later, Seth MacFarlane Explains His Wisecrack About Harvey Weinstein
The air district issued issued the Valley-wide alert because of the fine particles that are found in smoky skies.
- Trump meets military advisors to discuss North Korea options
- Andromeda, Dead Space 3 and more are coming soon to EA Access
- Why US officials fear North Korea could launch missile today
- Taiwan monopoly regulator fines Qualcomm more than $770M
- Tyrese and the Rock at odds over 'Fast and Furious' spinoff
- Previewing health order, Trump vows 'great, great' insurance
- Panama Awarded Phantom Goal To Break USA Hearts
- NASA eyes the Development of Tropical Storm Ophelia
- BlackBerry Motion is an All-Touch Smartphone
- Andew Wiggins Signs Extension With Timberwolves, Reportedly For Five-Years, $148 Million