Police have launched a critical incident investigation into the situation.
The semi-trailer hit several cars and a building on the New England Highway at George Street, sparking a blaze and injuring eight people, just before 9:00am on Wednesday.
One of the injured people, a 64-year-old man, is fighting for his life after being trapped in his auto when it was hit by the semi-trailer, which was carrying mushroom compost.
NSW Fire and Rescue says the truck was carrying compost.More news: Reliance Jio Diwali offer: Get full cashback on recharge of Rs 399
The driver of the alleged stolen truck, identified as 29-year-old Rod Johnson, was arrested at the scene and received hospital treatment for minor injuries.
He was refused bail and is expected before Singleton Local Court today.
A critical incident team from Port Stephens Local Area Command is investigating all circumstances surrounding the incident.
The semi-trailer was allegedly stolen from a service station at Murrurundi, north of Singleton, on Wednesday morning.More news: Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE:DVN) Closed Over Its 50 Day Moving Average
As the truck approached Singleton, officers deployed road spikes to stop the vehicle.
The truck crashed into a building and other vehicles.
One man was trapped in his vehicle when it was hit by the truck this morning (October 11) in Singleton, and is now in a life-threatening condition. A witness told Nine News he saw a plume of black smoke.
Witness Tony Pearce said the truck looked like it was going at least 100 kilometres an hour when it came down the street.More news: New York Man Arrested, Charged With Threatening 'Las Vegas Repeat'
The woman and child were taken to Singleton Hospital with dehydration and insect bites.
- Nadal and Federer win in straight sets at Shanghai Masters
- Spain Gives Catalonia A Deadline: Retract Independence Claim Or Else
- Trump says Iran deal decision coming 'very shortly'
- McDonald's Szechuan sauce promotion event a blunder
- District Attorney Defends Decision Not to Prosecute Harvey Weinstein
- Delhi youth nabbed after scamming Amazon 166 times for Rs52 lakh
- Making Way Towards North with Performance Booster: Adobe Systems Incorporated (NASDAQ:ADBE)
- EPS for Pilgrim's Pride Corporation (PPC) Expected At $0.71
- AFC Asian Cup qualifier, India vs Macau
- Body Cam Footage Shows Alex Morgan Arguing With Disney World Police