The lack of goal-line technology in Panama could ultimately mean the landscape of the 2018 World Cup is changed drastically, with the Stars and Stripes missing out on their first finals since 1986 as a result.
On a sensational final night of qualifiers, Roman Torres was the hero as the home side defeated Costa Rica 2-1 in Panama City. Tomorrow [Wednesday] is a national holiday.
The victory left them third in the CONCACAF area qualification behind Mexico and Costa Rica, and sensationally helped knock the United States out of contention.More news: California Wildfires Halt Production on Netflix's Drama '13 Reasons Why'
But while they celebrated, U.S. commiserated as they failed to qualify for football's crown jewel for the first time since 1986 after defeat by bottom-side Trinidad and Tobago.
Scenes from the country following its first World Cup berth are something else. That poor start to the campaign had cost Jurgen Klinsmann his job as national coach and Arena, right, proved unable to make sufficient amends.
Round 5 - Honduras 0 Panama 1, Panama 0 Mexico 0, Trinidad & Tobago 1 Panama 0, Panama 1 U.S. 1, Costa Rica 0 Panama 0, Panama 2 Honduras 2, Mexico 1 Panama 0, Panama 3 Trinidad & Tobago 0, U.S. 4 Panama 0, Panama 2 Costa Rica 1.More news: Amazon Alexa devices can finally tell voices apart
Hernan Dario Gomez is a 61-year-old Colombian who took over as manager of Panama in February 2014 and he is no stranger to taking teams to the World Cup.
The equalising goal came into the box from a corner and deflected off of Gabriel Torres' backside before hitting the inside of the far post.
They were awarded a controversial ghost goal despite the ball never crossing the line!More news: Harvey Weinstein Addresses Georgina Chapman's Decision to Leave Him
Referee, Walter Lopez of Guatemala, decided that the ball had crossed the line and gave the goal.
- Taiwan monopoly regulator fines Qualcomm more than $770M
- Smoke from wildfires prompts health caution
- Commissioners Court: October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month in Hays County
- BlackBerry Motion is an All-Touch Smartphone
- Syrian FM says United States coalition sparing IS in Syria
- GIC IPO subscribed 0.75 times
- Pitt Greensburg students react to former classmate's murder charges
- Previewing health order, Trump vows 'great, great' insurance
- Several trapped as residential building collapses in Kisii
- Tyrese and the Rock at odds over 'Fast and Furious' spinoff