The army did not name those held, only saying it worked with United States intelligence officials to track them down and free them after discovering they had been brought into Pakistan. The insurgents had been demanding release of their prisoners in exchange for the two hostages who gave birth to the three children while in captivity.
Pakistan's army has recovered five Western hostages held by the Taliban for years.More news: SL Green Realty Corp's (NYSE:SLG) Sentiment is 1.03
The recovered hostages "are being repatriated to their country of origin", the ISPR said. They were abducted by Afghan-based terrorists in 2012 and kept as hostages for five years.
The family was kidnapped in Afghanistan in 2012.
It is not clear how much Pakistan may have aided in the rescue efforts for Coleman and her family. They want money, power and friends. The group released two videos of the hostages.More news: Sergio Aguero coy on Manchester City return date
The U.S. has long criticized Pakistan for failing to aggressively go after the Haqqanis, who have been behind many attacks against U.S. and allied forces in Afghanistan.
"We can no longer be silent about Pakistan's safe havens for terrorist organizations, the Taliban and other groups that pose a threat to the region and beyond", Trump said in a recent speech announcing his Afghanistan policy.
Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis has already withheld millions in military funding from Pakistan due to his inability to certify that Islamabad "has taken sufficient action against the Haqqani Network", a branch of the Afghan Taliban.More news: Amazon Now Letting Teens Use Their Own Accounts With Parental Consent
- Apple, NBC Partner For Spielberg's 'Amazing Stories'
- Aarushi Talwar murder case verdict today: All you should know
- Late-Night Hosts Mock Trump's "IQ Challenge" to Rex Tillerson
- Chris Johnson's Forecast | Showers and storms set to increase
- Germany: 'No evidence' Russian Federation used Kaspersky software to spy on US
- Jamie Carragher's Premier League XI from the season so far
- Former World Best Player, George Weah, Wins Liberia Presidential Election
- U.S. destroys relations with Moscow: Russia
- Google Duo will soon be adding a screen sharing feature
- Princess Nokia Pours Hot Soup On Subway Racist