The fact that former Maharashtra Chief Minister and Congress leader Ashok Chavan is spearheading his party in the elections shows the importance attached to Nanded municipal corporation.
The Congress has also built strong leads in 33 seats in the NWCMC, which is now one of the last surviving bastions of the party in the state.More news: Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc. (NASDAQ:CRZO) Experiences Heavy Trading Volume
Meanwhile, the Congress party is set for a sweeping victory in Nanded, the home turf of former Maharashtra Chief Minister and Maharashtra State Congress President Ashok Chavan, where counting of votes is still underway. As far as the Sena is concerned, it is not even in the race here. Sharad Pawar's NCP won 10 seats, AIMIM won 11, one seat was won by an independent candidate and two more by other parties. Nanded Municipal Corporation has 3.96 lakh registered voters of whom 60 per cent turned out to vote on Wednesday.
Asaduddin Owaisi's All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) seems to have failed in retaining seats in Nanded Waghala Municipal Corporation. In the recent elections to the 16 municipal corporations, the BJP came to power in 13.More news: No Colombia pact, insists Peru's Tapia
Both the Congress and BJP had made it a battle of prestige to wrest the civic body in its control.
Counting of votes in this ward will be done twice - through EVMs as well as VVPAT machines, the election commission officials said. Shiv Sena is leading on one seat, and AIMIM is trailing on all seats.More news: Delhi youth nabbed after scamming Amazon 166 times for Rs52 lakh
A total of 578 candidates are in the poll fray. Of the 81 seats, 41 are reserved for women, 15 for Scheduled Caste candidates, two for Scheduled Tribe candidates and 22 seats for Backward Class communities.
- Aarushi Talwar murder case
- Google removes Home Mini's touch functionality following privacy concerns
- Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE:DVN) Closed Over Its 50 Day Moving Average
- British Daesh recruiter 'White Widow' killed in drone strike in Syria
- Melania Trump takes dim view of Ivana Trump's 'I'm first lady' comment
- Singleton truck crash: Driver of alleged stolen semi-trailer refused bail
- Trump says Iran deal decision coming 'very shortly'
- McDonald's Szechuan sauce promotion event a blunder
- Sky takeover probe to focus on media plurality, broadcasting standards
- Five Hollywood Studios On Board For Movies Anywhere Service