Gilles Simon of France, a 2014 Shanghai finalist, posted a 6-3, 6-4 win over Chinese wild card Wu Yibing, who won the U.S. Open junior boys' title last month.
"Of course injury is not a positive thing", Nadal said, "Because it is better when you don't have injuries, but at the same time the only positive thing about injury is when you come back and when you have success, you appreciate it even more". Now he is playing at the Shanghai Rolex Masters where his old rival Roger Federer is eyeing top place. Nadal will be guaranteed to retain the No. 1 ranking through the end of the season if he wins his first career Shanghai title and Federer loses before reaching the semifinals.
Nadal, a 16-time Grand Slam victor who has suffered from knee problems for several years, plays unseeded American Jared Donaldson in his opener in Shanghai.More news: District Attorney Defends Decision Not to Prosecute Harvey Weinstein
"Rafa would have been a little keener I definitely think to play doubles".
"I think it's a really good issue for the tour to try and figure out a way to get those players on court more often at these ATP events. I'm used to playing 70, 90, 100 matches a season, so this year that's not the case", the 19-time men's singles Grand Slam victor explained.
On a less lighter note, Donaldson said of playing Nadal: "You want to play against the best and see how your game stacks up". I think I am able to adapt my game to the new times.More news: Astronauts take a spacewalk to lubricate robotic arm
"But it is a feeling that I already had a few times in my career".
"That's why I feel refreshed for Shanghai, and also for Paris and London".
Roger Federer of Switzerland returns a backhand shot against Diego Schwartzman of Argentina during their men's singles match at the Shanghai Masters tennis tournament in Shanghai, China, Wednesday, Oct. 11.More news: Traders Sell Exxon Mobil Corporation (XOM) on Strength Following Analyst Downgrade
Federer defeated Diego Schwartzman 7-6 (4), 6-4, winning the match with his 14th ace on his second match point.
- Delhi youth nabbed after scamming Amazon 166 times for Rs52 lakh
- BJP Leader Yashwant Sinha Questions Party's Handling Of Jay Shah Incident
- Nick Kyrgios Fined $31085 for Incident at Shanghai Masters
- Taylor Twellman Went On A Second Epic Rant On ESPN
- Making Way Towards North with Performance Booster: Adobe Systems Incorporated (NASDAQ:ADBE)
- Five Hollywood Studios On Board For Movies Anywhere Service
- Behrendorff sets up convincing win for Australia
- EPS for Pilgrim's Pride Corporation (PPC) Expected At $0.71
- Kenya high court says minor candidate can contest presidential re-run
- Carmakers hit in Japan steel scandal