Gilles Simon of France, a 2014 Shanghai finalist, posted a 6-3, 6-4 win over Chinese wild card Wu Yibing, who won the U.S. Open junior boys' title last month.
"Of course injury is not a positive thing", Nadal said, "Because it is better when you don't have injuries, but at the same time the only positive thing about injury is when you come back and when you have success, you appreciate it even more". Now he is playing at the Shanghai Rolex Masters where his old rival Roger Federer is eyeing top place. Nadal will be guaranteed to retain the No. 1 ranking through the end of the season if he wins his first career Shanghai title and Federer loses before reaching the semifinals.
Nadal, a 16-time Grand Slam victor who has suffered from knee problems for several years, plays unseeded American Jared Donaldson in his opener in Shanghai.More news: McDonald's Szechuan sauce promotion event a blunder
"Rafa would have been a little keener I definitely think to play doubles".
"I think it's a really good issue for the tour to try and figure out a way to get those players on court more often at these ATP events. I'm used to playing 70, 90, 100 matches a season, so this year that's not the case", the 19-time men's singles Grand Slam victor explained.
On a less lighter note, Donaldson said of playing Nadal: "You want to play against the best and see how your game stacks up". I think I am able to adapt my game to the new times.More news: Behrendorff sets up convincing win for Australia
"But it is a feeling that I already had a few times in my career".
"That's why I feel refreshed for Shanghai, and also for Paris and London".
Roger Federer of Switzerland returns a backhand shot against Diego Schwartzman of Argentina during their men's singles match at the Shanghai Masters tennis tournament in Shanghai, China, Wednesday, Oct. 11.More news: Nick Kyrgios Fined $31085 for Incident at Shanghai Masters
Federer defeated Diego Schwartzman 7-6 (4), 6-4, winning the match with his 14th ace on his second match point.
- Delhi youth nabbed after scamming Amazon 166 times for Rs52 lakh
- Devon Energy Corporation (NYSE:DVN) Closed Over Its 50 Day Moving Average
- Romelu Lukaku Showed Zero Signs Of A Knock In Scoring For Belgium
- BJP Leader Yashwant Sinha Questions Party's Handling Of Jay Shah Incident
- Cliffs Inc. (NYSE:CLF) Pressured Under Trend Lines
- EPS for Pilgrim's Pride Corporation (PPC) Expected At $0.71
- Singleton truck crash: Driver of alleged stolen semi-trailer refused bail
- Five Hollywood Studios On Board For Movies Anywhere Service
- British Daesh recruiter 'White Widow' killed in drone strike in Syria
- Iac (NASDAQ:IACI) Stock Sentiment Worsens