The tenure of 182-member Gujarat assembly is due to end on 22 January 2018.More news: Gucci pledges to go fur free in 'huge game-changer'
The three-member Election Commission headed by Chief Election Commissioner A.K. Jyoti will address a press conference at 4 p.m.at which the full poll schedule for the two states was likely to be released. As the term of the current legislative assembly ends in the third week of January, Gujarat may go to polls in December, indicated the poll panel recently. Hence, in November, the election dates for Himachal Pradesh polls are likely to be in the coming month. Jyoti had said that to tally the number of slips with the votes cast, the paper slips would be counted at a single booth in each of the 182 constituencies.
Elections were held in two phases, the first on 13 December and second on 17 December 2012.Total voting turnout of both phases was 71.32 per cent, highest since 1980. VVPAT was first used in the Goa polls earlier this year.
Gujarat will have 50,128 polling stations and 28,639 polling locations, Joti said.More news: Delhi youth nabbed after scamming Amazon 166 times for Rs52 lakh
The polls are seen as a barometer of support for Prime Minister Narendra Modi at a time when a sputtering economy has handed the opposition Congress party a possible opening to regain political ground.
After the recently-held summary revision campaign in Gujarat, as many as 10.46 lakh new voters were added, out of which 3.20 lakh are first-time voters.More news: Singleton truck crash: Driver of alleged stolen semi-trailer refused bail
- Melania Trump takes dim view of Ivana Trump's 'I'm first lady' comment
- Carmakers hit in Japan steel scandal
- Google removes Home Mini's touch functionality following privacy concerns
- Amazon Re-Kindles The Oasis With Upgraded Model
- AFC Asian Cup qualifier, India vs Macau
- Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc. (NASDAQ:CRZO) Experiences Heavy Trading Volume
- Reliance Jio Diwali offer: Get full cashback on recharge of Rs 399
- Shkodran Mustafi: Arsenal defender ruled out for up to six weeks
- McDonald's Szechuan sauce promotion event a blunder
- Nanded Municipal Corporation Election Results 2017: Counting of votes underway