The tenure of 182-member Gujarat assembly is due to end on 22 January 2018.More news: Nadal and Federer win in straight sets at Shanghai Masters
The three-member Election Commission headed by Chief Election Commissioner A.K. Jyoti will address a press conference at 4 p.m.at which the full poll schedule for the two states was likely to be released. As the term of the current legislative assembly ends in the third week of January, Gujarat may go to polls in December, indicated the poll panel recently. Hence, in November, the election dates for Himachal Pradesh polls are likely to be in the coming month. Jyoti had said that to tally the number of slips with the votes cast, the paper slips would be counted at a single booth in each of the 182 constituencies.
Elections were held in two phases, the first on 13 December and second on 17 December 2012.Total voting turnout of both phases was 71.32 per cent, highest since 1980. VVPAT was first used in the Goa polls earlier this year.
Gujarat will have 50,128 polling stations and 28,639 polling locations, Joti said.More news: Nick Kyrgios Fined $31085 for Incident at Shanghai Masters
The polls are seen as a barometer of support for Prime Minister Narendra Modi at a time when a sputtering economy has handed the opposition Congress party a possible opening to regain political ground.
After the recently-held summary revision campaign in Gujarat, as many as 10.46 lakh new voters were added, out of which 3.20 lakh are first-time voters.More news: British Daesh recruiter 'White Widow' killed in drone strike in Syria
- Gucci pledges to go fur free in 'huge game-changer'
- "It's a possibility" - Dani Alves speaks about Arsenal's Sanchez joining PSG
- New law to impose absolute price cap on poor value energy tariffs
- Behrendorff sets up convincing win for Australia
- Nanded Municipal Corporation Election Results 2017: Counting of votes underway
- EPS for Pilgrim's Pride Corporation (PPC) Expected At $0.71
- Aarushi Talwar murder case
- Shkodran Mustafi: Arsenal defender ruled out for up to six weeks
- Sky takeover probe to focus on media plurality, broadcasting standards
- Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) Upgraded to "Sell" at Vetr Inc