Hurricane Ophelia is strengthening over the eastern Atlantic Ocean and could soon hit Europe. The element set a record for the most successive storms that have reached the height of a hurricane, a meteorologist at Colorado State University said.
With Ophelia becoming a hurricane, 2017 is now the fourth time since 2000 to see at least 10 hurricanes in the Atlantic Basin, and the first time since 2012.
Ophelia is now a Category 1 hurricane.
However, Ophelia will have weakened into a post-tropical cyclone by the time it reaches the UK.More news: 'Akira' Remake Casting: Taika Waititi Confirms He Would Cast Asian Leads
Met Office forecaster Alex Burkhill said: "Ophelia became a hurricane overnight and the forecast track takes it eastwards towards Iberia for the weekend".
A hurricane is headed for the United Kingdom - and it's due to hit on the 30-year anniversary of the 1987 Great Storm.
A higher degree of winds are expected, as well as unseasonably warm weather.
Western Britain will also likely be battered by gusts of between 60mph and 70mph.More news: Tillerson Calls Turkish Foreign Minister Over Recent Detentions
The Met Office has warned that the unsettled weather could cause disruption.
In contrast the east of England could see much nicer weather, with temperatures skyrocketing as the system arrives from the tropics.
"Above-normal temperatures could continue into Monday before getting cooler from Tuesday".More news: Greek Court Agrees To Send Russian Cybersuspect Sought By US To Russia
- Nanded Municipal Corporation Election Results 2017: Counting of votes underway
- EC to announce poll dates for Gujarat, Himachal
- Sears Holdings Corp (SHLD) Upgraded to "Sell" at Vetr Inc
- Nokia 9 Renders Reveal Curved QHD Display, Narrow Bezels And Dual Cameras
- Bank of America Corporation (BAC) Rating Increased to Hold at Vetr Inc
- Former World Best Player, George Weah, Wins Liberia Presidential Election
- Late-Night Hosts Mock Trump's "IQ Challenge" to Rex Tillerson
- USMNT not headed to 2018 World Cup and people are disgusted
- Aarushi Talwar murder case
- Quarterly EPS Forecast Review: Dynagas LNG Partners LP (DLNG)