Reports indicate that Apple will be rebooting Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories, a science-fiction television series which gained a cult following in the 80s.
Spielberg originally created the series for NBC in the U.S. and the revival will be produced for Apple by Amblin alongside NBCUniversal-owned Universal TV. It has pledged to spend US$1 billion (S$1.36 billion) on original productions next year. On Monday, Apple terminated a deal with the Weinstein Company for a Elvis Presley biopic series after producer Harvey Weinstein was sacked from the company he co-founded.More news: Late-Night Hosts Mock Trump's "IQ Challenge" to Rex Tillerson
Each episode will sport a sumly $5 million dollar budget, suggesting the eps will be as epic as most of those in the original run.
Since neither of the shows turned out to be a game-changer, executives at Apple are of the view that there is need for quality programs which can meet the high standards that consumers have come to expect from the tech giant. But selling media services has taken on a new urgency at the company as sales of iPhones have slowed.More news: U.S. destroys relations with Moscow: Russia
And it recently released its own app collating TV shows and movies from across the ever-growing constellation of streaming services.
Apple is entering a competitive field of original programming and will face not only the traditional studios' output, but also that from the like of Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu.More news: Google Duo will soon be adding a screen sharing feature
Currently, Apple releases reality shows like "Planet of the Apps" and "Carpool Karaoke" on the Apple Music app.
- Tillerson Calls Turkish Foreign Minister Over Recent Detentions
- Pakistan Election Commission issues non-bailable arrest warrant against Imran Khan
- Jamie Carragher's Premier League XI from the season so far
- Quarterly EPS Forecast Review: Dynagas LNG Partners LP (DLNG)
- Amazon Now Letting Teens Use Their Own Accounts With Parental Consent
- Category 1 Hurricane Ophelia grows stronger in Atlantic Ocean
- Germany: 'No evidence' Russian Federation used Kaspersky software to spy on US
- The Evil Within 2 gets creepy launch trailer
- Lufthansa Set To Sign Air Berlin Deal
- Aarushi Talwar murder case verdict today: All you should know