But now it looks suspiciously like there may have been something in the rumours, as Matt Damon coincidentally turned up on Jimmy Kimmel to unceremoniously crash Chris Hemsworth's interview ahead of the film's release in a few weeks. Get the Akira remake casting details below. When Otomo adapted his story for the screen, not only was the manga still another two years away from completion, but the story that was there had to be severely truncated and edit to fit into a traditional theatrical running time.
"I would not do a remake of the movie".
"I actually love the books".More news: Google removes Home Mini's touch functionality following privacy concerns
Warner Bros. began development of a live-action adaptation in 2002 that was reportedly set in a rebuilt New Manhattan, rather than the Neo Tokyo of the manga and anime.
Director Taika Waititi is eager to make a live-action version of Japanese graphic novel Akira featuring an all-Asian cast. I would do an adaptation of the books... "I would do an adaptation of the books", Waititi explained. Both Death Note and Ghost in the Shell received mixed reviews from fans and critics, with the latter movie proving to be a box-office bomb despite the star power of Scarlett Johansson. And the same sort of whitewashing nearly happened previously with Akira.
Thor: Ragnarok premieres December 15, 2017.More news: Oculus Rift price cut to £399 for good
The unfortunate state of the current Hollywood studio system means "Akira" fans have every right to be anxious over whether or not the studio will whitewash the movie and cast caucasian actors in roles written for Japanese performers.
"Yeah. actually Asian teenagers would be the way to do it for me and probably no, not, like no name, I mean sort of unfound, untapped talent", Waititi told the site.
Waititi confirmed to the outlet that there have indeed been "talks" for him to helm Akira, but the director remained coy on whether the deal would go through: "I am-that was more or less a rumor". We've already seen just from the Thor: Ragnarok trailers alone how he could nail a sci-fi world like Akira, but it would be outside his normally comedic wheelhouse.More news: Princess Nokia Pours Hot Soup On Subway Racist
- Shkodran Mustafi: Arsenal defender ruled out for up to six weeks
- Singleton truck crash: Driver of alleged stolen semi-trailer refused bail
- Gucci pledges to go fur free in 'huge game-changer'
- First Industrial Realty Trust, (NYSE:FR) Sees Significantly Lower Trading Volume
- "It's a possibility" - Dani Alves speaks about Arsenal's Sanchez joining PSG
- EC to announce poll dates for Gujarat, Himachal
- Carrizo Oil & Gas, Inc. (NASDAQ:CRZO) Experiences Heavy Trading Volume
- No Colombia pact, insists Peru's Tapia
- Bank of America Corporation (BAC) Rating Increased to Hold at Vetr Inc
- Tillerson Calls Turkish Foreign Minister Over Recent Detentions