Nielsen now is the principal deputy to White House chief of staff John Kelly.More news: Arby's to release venison sandwiches nationwide, test elk sandwiches
President Donald Trump is expected to nominate Kirstjen Nielsen, a cybersecurity expert and deputy White House chief of staff, to be Homeland Security secretary, a job left vacant when John Kelly left the department to become White House chief of staff in July, four administration officials confirmed Wednesday. She previously worked as a homeland security adviser in Republican President George W. Bush's White House and at the Transportation Security Administration. She will then be subject to Senate confirmation. Mr. Kelly had drafted Ms. Nielsen to be his chief of staff at the Homeland Security department, and when the president plucked him to serve in the West Wing, he brought her to the White House as his No. 2. Former colleagues said on Wednesday that she was well-qualified.More news: Bank of New York Mellon Corp (BK) is Minneapolis Portfolio Management Group LLC's 7th Largest Position
Prior to Nielsen's work for the current administration, she consulted on homeland security and preparedness matters, according to her biography at The George Washington University where she was a senior fellow at the school's Center for Cyber and Homeland Security. Her departure leaves Kelly looking to fill another crucial administrative vacancy. Increased border security and a possible overhaul of the immigration system remain top campaign promises Trump has yet to fulfill, including his trademark wall on the border with Mexico. In that time, it has faced hurricanes that battered Texas, Florida and Puerto Rico.More news: Coroner's service says three bodies were found after fire in Nanaimo, BC
- Reused SpaceX rocket to carry communications satellite into orbit
- Ghana Vs India: Tahitian Referee Zitouni To officiate clash
- Trailer released for Demi Lovato's YouTube doc
- Former Viking RB Adrian Peterson Sued After Defaulting On Loan
- Developer Shows Off iOS Phishing Attack That Is Very Convincing
- Endo Health Solutions Inc. (NASDAQ:ENDP) Valuation According To Analysts
- Andy Cohen to Partner with Anderson Cooper For CNN's New Year's Show
- Ares Commercial Real Estate Corporation (ACRE) Holdings Increased by Nomura Holdings Inc
- Does NBC have a Harvey Weinstein protection problem?
- Karan Johar announces Ayan Mukerji's next 'Brahmastra'