It will come close enough to the Earth that the Earth's gravitational pull will slightly alter the path of the asteroid, stated the report.
In one way or another, asteroids have always been a threat to the human beings, sometimes, they kissed the tip of the earth, sometimes, scientists managed to get rid of them by shattering them into tiny pieces.
"It's very important these things are done, it's a big sky, things could come from any direction and there could be an asteroid with our name on in it", added Glenn.More news: Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) Earning Favorable News Coverage, Analysis Shows
The large space rock, named 2012 TC4, was first spotted five years ago by the Pan-STARRS telescope at the Haleakala Observatory, in Hawaii, before disappearing as it orbits the sun. But 2012 TC4 asteroid is different.
It will fly by on October 12 at one eighth of the distance between Earth and the moon, and about 30 per cent further away than geosynchronous satellites.
Calculations revealed by JPL in July 2017 indicated that 2012 TC4 could pass as close as 4,200 miles (6,800 kilometers).More news: PM's new Economic Advisory Council to work on monetary policy, fiscal framework
Meanwhile, this asteroid which is nearly the size of a house will pass somewhere between 18,000-40,000 kilometers of the Earth's surface, just inside the space where geostationary satellites orbit in general. While scientists can not yet predict exactly how close it will approach, they are certain it will come no closer than 4,200 miles (6,800 kilometers) from Earth's surface.
The meteor that exploded over the Russian city of Chelyabinsk in February 2013, injuring 1,500 people and damaging over 7,000 buildings, was about 66 feet (20 meters) wide. Program scientist at NASA, Michael Kelly, said that the upcoming flyby does not pose any danger to the Earth and not even to its satellites.
The passing of the asteroid relatively close to Earth is being used by asteroid trackers around the world to test their ability to operate as a coordinated global asteroid warning network.More news: Highly Traded Stock: Freeport-McMoRan Inc. (FCX)
"The October pass will bring the asteroid up to magnitude 14, so extensive physical studies will be possible, but only briefly".
- Mumbai stampede probe: Railway officials given clean chit by inquiry committee
- Nissan creates the biggest remote controlled GT-R ever
- Ali Enterprises files $30M suit against Fox
- China protests over US Navy patrol in contested South China Sea waters
- How Is International Business Machines Corporation (NYSE:IBM) Stacking Up?
- Google Home Mini fault left smart speakers always recording
- Donald Trump WILL visit United Kingdom within months as trip finally confirmed
- Heartbreaking Reasons Why International Day Of The Girl Is So, So Important
- These 2 Mass. breweries won awards at the Great American Beer Festival
- Chelsea reprimand Charly Musonda