"The NRA believes that devices meant to allow semi-automatic rifles to function like fully automatic rifles should be subject to additional regulations", Wayne LaPierre and Chris Cox, the group's top two leaders, said in the statement.
NY law does not explicitly outlaw bump stocks, the modification that attaches to the back of a gun and allows semi-automatic weapons to fire more rapidly, allowing a shooter to quickly empty a magazine. Dianne Feinstein and fellow members of the Senate have introduced the Automatic Gunfire Prevention Act, which would ban the sale of any accessory or device that is "designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic rifle".
We'll try to suppress our skepticism that Congress might go after the devices, which are such a tiny part of America's gun problem, just to spare themselves from having to answer for not doing more.
"I would need to see specifics of any legislation related to bump stocks and study whether they comply with the existing ban on fully automatic weapons, but generally speaking I am opposed to any new federal gun restrictions".More news: Manikay Partners Lowered Nxp Semiconductors NV (NXPI) Position; CONCERT PHARMACEUTICALS (CNCE) Has
Wayland told us criminals will still find a way to break the law.
The non-gun-lovers among us - and maybe even a few gun lovers - have learned a couple of new terms over the last few days: "bump stock" and "trigger crank".
Bump stocks reportedly have stopped being offered by retailers like Cabela's as well, at least for now.
Bump stocks are legal and are meant to help people with limited hand mobility to fire a semi-automatic without individual trigger pulls. A gunman pumped bullets from a casino high-rise into a crowd of concertgoers below, killing 59 and wounding hundreds, apparently using legal "bump stocks" to increase firing speed from his semi-automatic weapons.
There is a Republican-backed bill banning bump stocks that could be introduced in the house Thursday night.More news: Featured Stock for Investors: Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. (VRX)
But the Las Vegas killer didn't need a fully automatic weapon to unleash his rapid-fire terror.
Bump-fire stocks attach to the receiver of a rifle.
Republicans hold the majority in both the Senate and the House of Representatives.More news: Google could be launching a rival to the Amazon Echo Show
- Trump's Latest Approval Rating Shows Americans Don't Care About Puerto Rico
- The Google Pixel 2 is now the top-rated smartphone camera on DxOMark
- Spain vs Albania World Cup Qualifying UEFA Live Streaming
- Las Vegas Shooter Tried to Buy Tracer Rounds Before Massacre, Official Says
- General Mills, Inc. (GIS) Stock Rating Reaffirmed by Goldman Sachs Group, Inc
- Vettel gets better of Hamilton as rain hits Japan first practice
- Marcus Mariota listed as questionable, will be game-time decision
- Trump off the mark on Puerto Rico hurricane
- From disasters to freight, this driverless fuel cell platform has it covered
- Ivana Trump Says She Is the Reason Donald Trump Tweets