"The decision was 'Do you walk out of the national anthem and join your teammates?'" Villanueva said.
However, the incident seemed to confuse some teammates, who believed the team had all agreed to stand in the tunnel together.More news: Chelsea agrees terms with Atl. Madrid for Costa's transfer
Villanueva insists he was not, that saluting the colors had everything to do with miscommunication and nothing to do with him setting himself apart from the organization, the coaches or the players who have helped craft his improbable success story. Villanueva confirmed that report Monday, according to the station.
ESPN reported that many Steelers were surprised and confused by Villanueva's isolation since he had said in Saturday's players-only meeting he didn't want to bring attention to himself. "Unfortunately, I threw [my teammates] under the bus, unintentionally".
Villanueva said that he had asked Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger if he could stand with the captains in front of the team during the anthem, and that he turned back to look at this teammates as the anthem started.More news: Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Plus Retail Box Leaked in Live Image
Villanueva continued, saying: "I made coach Tomlin look bad, and that is my fault and my fault only".
At the first football game of the day in London, at least seven members of the Baltimore Ravens and more than a dozen Jacksonville Jaguars took a knee during the anthem as the other players stood with arms locked together. Roethlisberger and Heyward said the team will be on the sideline during future anthem presentations.
"Every single time I see that picture of me standing by myself I feel embarrassed", Villanueva said. "I also look bad and that's my fault and my fault only".More news: Hardik Pandya and Moeen Ali: the six-athon cricketers
Protests during the national anthem began a year ago when former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick took a knee to protest the treatment of black Americans, especially by the police. Villanueva said the team "butchered" their attempt at, as he said, staying away from the situation.
- Twitter finally breaks silence on why it's never suspended President Trump
- Nokia 8 6GB RAM/128GB ROM variant not coming to India
- The Bear Case for The Walt Disney Company (DIS)
- Ben Roethlisberger regrets Steelers' decision to miss national anthem
- Euro slides after German vote; N.Korea comments drag on stocks
- Steven Gerrard: What I really think about Alvaro Morata at Chelsea
- North Korea moving airplanes, boosting defence after USA bomber flight, reports Yonhap
- Kurdish referendum: Iran closes border with Iraqi Kurdistan over independence vote fears
- Chelsea confirm deal for Diego Costa's Atletico transfer
- Steelers Surprised By Alejandro Villanueva's Appearance During Anthem