- A Syrian activist and her U.S-born journalist daughter have been killed in their home in Istanbul, relatives and Turkish media said Friday - the latest victims of attacks targeting Syrian activists in Turkey.
The mother and daughter have been confirmed as family members of the victims of the Chapel Hill shooting in the USA in 2015 when a known Islamophobe murdered Deah Barakat along with his wife, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha, and her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha.
Turkey has become home to nearly three million Syrian refugees since the outbreak of the Syrian civil war in 2011, many of them opponents of Bashar Al Assad's regime.
According to Turkish media reports, Orouba was in the process of investigating alleged torture in prisons, which were being run by the Syrian government.More news: First Peter Rabbit Trailer Arrives and Fans Aren't Keen
The local media further said that Ms. Barakat lived in Britain and then the United Arab Emirates before moving to Istanbul.
Two Syrian journalists from the city of Raqa who were opposed to the Islamic State (IS) extremist group and were found beheaded in southern Turkey in 2015.
The National Coalition said Aroubeh Barakat had taken "honourable positions and played an active role in the Syrian revolution", adding that the impact of her actions would last long after her death.
In an emotional tribute to her aunt on Facebook, Deah's sister Suzanne Barakat wrote: "How many more beloved family members will I lose to hatred and violence?"More news: Trump to Campaign in Alabama for Republican Luther Strange
Halla was working as an editor for the pro-opposition website Orient News.
Syrian activist Rami Jarrah, who tweeted the news of Aroubeh Barakat's death, wrote on Facebook that the family believed the killing could be due to her opposition activities.
Syrian opposition activists and journalists based in Turkey have repeatedly complained of threats to their security.More news: Equity Research Analyst's Stock Ratings: MGIC Investment Corporation (MTG), FMC Corporation (FMC)
- Swedish Prosecutor Launches Proceedings Against Telia and Employees
- Autumn officially starts today
- Analysts Ratings for PayPal Holdings, Inc. (PYPL)
- Stocks Turning into Critical Performance Analyses: The Kraft Heinz Company (NASDAQ:KHC)
- Showtime Lands Bill Clinton-James Patterson Political Thriller
- Garbine Muguruza beats Caroline Garcia in Pan Pacific Open, Karolina Pliskova out
- Upcoming Winter Olympics medals revealed
- Scaramucci: Bannon Has White Nationalist 'Tendencies'
- Stock Under Review: Carrizo Oil & Gas Inc. (CRZO)
- Mnuchin says firms must choose between business with U.S. or N. Korea