Some had been concerned about how the "America First" agenda that President Trump is expected to bring to the table will sit with the rest of the member nations, which face other pressing worldwide issues like fighting ISIS and getting a handle on recent North Korean aggressions, one of the issues the president is expected to raise when he speaks to the U.N. General Assembly on Tuesday.
The United States is "disseminating the fraudulent claim that the sanctions and pressure are geared to the so-called peaceful solution". The exact timing of when the aid would be sent, as well as its size, would be confirmed later, the ministry said in a statement.
Seoul's aid package would include $4.5 million for the World Food Program, while $3.5 million would go to the United Nations Children's Fund, which earlier in the day reiterated the dire conditions facing minors in North Korea - with around 200,000 of the reclusive state's children suffering from malnutrition.More news: Carnival plc's (CCL) "Outperform" Rating Reaffirmed at Credit Suisse Group
USA tactical nuclear weapons were removed from the country in late 1991 as part of Seoul's denuclearization agreement with Pyongyang.
South Korea offered humanitarian assistance to the North even under conservative administrations. Realmeter, a South Korean polling organisation, said on Thursday Moon's approval rating stood at 65.7 percent, weakening for a fourth straight month.
North Korea is expected to be a main talking point at the UN General Assembly in NY this week.More news: Forex - Dollar Climbs Against Other Majors on Fed Statement
SEOUL-South Korea's President Moon Jae-in said on Wednesday the country is pushing to ensure security at next year's Pyeongchang Winter Olympics amid rising tensions over North Korea's nuclear weapons programs.
"If (Trump) was thinking about surprising us with dog-barking sounds then he is clearly dreaming", he said.
Such provocations have sparked strong disapproval from the global community, especially from the United States and Japan.More news: Plains All American Pipeline LP (NYSE:PAA) Institutional Investor Positioning
- Is Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (COG) a good buy?
- GOP Health Care Proposals Lack Even 'Common-Sense Rationale,' Obama Says
- Trump announces 'new sanctions' to come on N. Korea
- Netflix Renews 'BoJack Horseman' For Fifth Season
- Strange, Moore Face Off in Debate on WKRG Facebook Page
- DISH Network Corporation (DISH) Shares Bought by Amalgamated Bank
- Girard Partners LTD. Has $433000 Stake in Ford Motor Company (F)
- Revenue Growth Analysis of HTG Molecular Diagnostics, Inc. (HTGM)
- In first visit, Trump urges reform so United Nations can meet full potential
- Markets Right Now: US stocks edge higher in early trading