Nevah Shalom, 2900 S.W. Peaceful Lane, Portland: Nevah Shalom's Rosh Hashanah services are ticketed, but the synagogue also is hosting a "Whole Family Second Day Rosh Hashanah Celebration" this Friday at 9:30 a.m.
Yaakov Finkelstein, Consul General of Israel in Mumbai, said, "The Rosh Hashanah symbolises a new beginning".More news: Apple Posts Ads for the New App Store
Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown and lasts for two full days after tonight.
The piercing sound of the shofar, he said, is meant to rouse followers of Judaism and have them actively usher in the new year.More news: Tesla Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) Shares Sold by Marcus Capital LLC
This year's Rosh Hashanah will mark the commencement of the 5,778th year of the Jewish calendar. It is the first of the Jewish High Holy Days, which end with Yom Kippur, or the day of atonement.
The Jewish community in Mumbai began prayers on Wednesday evening to bring in the Hebrew new year "Rosh Hashanah".More news: Game of Thrones writer Bryan Cogman developing a 5th prequel series
Rosh Hashanah is celebrated with a candle lighting ceremony. The day also involves blowing the shofar, or ram's horn, and extended prayer readings. Shana Tovah U Metukah, (wish you and good and sweet year) is the traditional greeting exchanged amongst fellow Jews.
- What would provoke Trump to 'totally destroy' North Korea?
- President Trump delivers fiery first UN General Assembly address
- Alicia Vikander Is Lara Croft in the First Tomb Raider Trailer
- Treasury Yields, Dollar Surge as Fed Raises Odds of December Rate Hike
- Time for talks with North Korea over: Japan
- Moon Vows Efforts to Eliminate N. Korea's Nuke Ambitions
- Don't lose your iPhone and iPad apps with rollout of iOS 11
- Federal Court Derails Tabcorp, Tatts Merger
- SEC says hackers may have profited from stolen insider information
- President Donald Trump promises to protect America citizens