In the post, Franklin township firefighter Tyler Roysdon, 20, said that if he had to choose between saving a dog or a black man from a burning building, he would give the dog precedent over the human. Why?
The comment was later taken down from his Facebook page, which features a cover photo of the Confederate flag and a black and white skull.
Because he is a volunteer, Roysdon is only paid when he is called to duty.
Morris said based on Roysdon's comments, it's questionable if Roysdon should be a Franklin Township firefighter. "Upon gaining knowledge of this information, Fire Chief Steve Bishop immediately contacted the firefighter and directed the comments be removed".More news: Columnist wrong on climate change — ROBERT HASTINGS COLUMN
A volunteer firefighter was suspended indefinitely without pay Tuesday after he wrote on Facebook that he would rather save a dog than a black man. That decision will be made by the township board of trustees after a September 27 disciplinary hearing.
Although he has deleted the comments on Facebook, this was not before it was screen-grabbed.
"Everyone deserves a second chance and is also entitled to their own opinion", she added. A Franklin Township administrator says the suspension is the most Bishop could do, as he doesn't have the authority to fire employees.
Although listed as a volunteer firefighter, Roysdon did receive payment for each emergency he responded to within the township, WHIO reports.More news: About 1.5 million, mostly in Florida, without power in Irma's wake
Brian Morris, a township trustee, said Roysdon's remarks were clearly out of bounds by any estimation.
"Even if you take race out of it, it still would be wrong".
"There is no reason for him to say that anytime, anywhere.That should never be said". "We're volunteers, we're doing this because we love the community".More news: DHS mulling deadline extension for Dreams to reapply for DACA
- PBA Demands Firing of John Jay Professor Over 'Dead Cops' Tweet
- 'Don't Play With Fire': Mamata Banerjee To Group Planning Rally With Arms
- Citigroup Inc. Analysts Give ASML Holding (AMSL) a €135.00 Price Target
- Red Bull upbeat for Singapore glory
- No. 4 USC hosts Texas in early-season meeting of powers
- Liverpool fans are fuming with Jurgen Klopp after Liverpool 1-1 Burnley
- Important metrics that needs attention before buying this stock: Ansys, Inc. (ANSS)
- Crane hit with two four-shot penalties at Boise Open
- Wood's Burnley earn draw at Liverpool
- Plane crashes near Glenwood Springs, kills family of 4