The card will air immediately following the Heisman Trophy presentation.
But the former Cuban amateur star, who has long claimed 118 pound as his natural weight, will be moving up two weight classes to face Lomachenko, of Ukraine. An avoided fighter just like Lomachenko, is a true match up of the best fighting the best.
While that style hasn't generated the same interest that Lomachencko has gained with his improvisational movement and power punching, which has made him known as "The Matrix", Rigondeaux did dominate multi-division champion Nonito Donaire in 2013. That gives them a combined amateur record of 859-13.More news: IPhone X's AppleCare+ Plan Isn't Cheap
The meeting between the skilled fighters will pit the offensively creative Lomachenko (9-1, seven knockouts) against the defensive brilliance of Rigondeaux (17-0, 11 KOs) in a matchup that has intrigued boxing insiders for years.
"So, if this fight is going to happen, it needs to take place now and at a catchweight that is fair to both of us".
Rigondeaux is coming off the first no-contest of his career against Moises Flores.More news: Kevin Hart apologizes to wife, kids
This shouldn't be the case this time though, as Bob Arum's Top Rank has a new deal with ESPN which should ensure a solid run-in for this bout on December 9th. The historic nature of the fight appealed to him. Only three man have done so three times - Teofilo Stevenson and Felix Savon of Cuba and Laszlo Papp of Hungary. Four of the multiple gold-medal winners are active: Shields, Rigondeaux, Lomachenko and Zou Shiming.
"I have no problem taking a fight up to 126lb if needs be, but not even after eating at a Cuban New Year's party will I make 130lbs".
The fight will be for Lomachenko's WBO title and it will be the first world title fight between two two-time Olympic gold medalists.More news: Main Litigant In Ayodhya Babri Masjid Case Dies
"It's kind of like having done the last fight in old Yankee Stadium, [Muhammad] Ali-[Ken] Norton and then the first one in new Yankee Stadium with [Miguel] Cotto and [Yuri] Foreman".
- International Business Machines (NYSE:IBM) Shorted Shares Increased By 5.01%
- It's Prime Minister Narendra Modi's birthday and Twitter can't keep calm
- Hamas agrees to steps towards Palestinian unity
- Stock to Track: Arrowhead Pharma (ARWR)
- China says United States should stop issuing threats to North Korea
- Markets Right Now: Dow, S&P 500 notch record highs
- Key Equifax executives departing after huge data breach
- Russian Federation assists International Olympic Committee commissions in doping investigations - minister
- Apple iPhone 8 Major Rumor Confirmed?
- Options for North Korea are 'effective and overwhelming'