Its maximum sustained winds is 90 miles per hour and the storm is expected to bring unsafe surf and rip currents along the east coast.
The coast will see some higher surf, risky rip currents and possiblly some rain Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Jose became a Category 1 hurricane again by Friday afternoon.More news: The 10 Best Tweets During The All-Ireland Football Final
At 11 p.m. ET Saturday, Maria was about 545 miles east-southeast of the Lesser Antilles with maximum sustained winds at 50 mph.
Drew Pearson, emergency manager, says residents and visitors should stock up on any essentials and watch the forecast through Tuesday in case the storm track farther inland.
It was located about 420 miles (680 kilometers) south-southeast of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, and was heading north at 8 mph (13 kph). However, we'll notice a change as early as Monday as we keep our eyes on Hurricane Jose.
"Our main worry now is for the Leeward Islands, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic", said Chris Fisher, a forecaster in the Miami office of the weather service.More news: Korea of military options
Americans living along the US East between North Carolina and New England have been told to "monitor the progress" of Hurricane Jose in the coming days. It was out in the Atlantic and moving west-northwest at 8 miles per hour.
Much of New England is in Jose's "cone of uncertainty", according to to the NHC forecast model.
"Strengthening is forecast during the next 48 hours", the forecaster said.
Tropical Storm Lee expected to form out of what is now known as Tropical Depression 14 near the Cabo Verde Islands off West Africa.More news: Lewis Hamilton Wins Singapore Grand Prix
- Klopp: Liverpool could have won every game
- Donald Trump's Tweet On London Train Bombing Just Speculation, Says Britain Minister
- Dragon Ball FighterZ adds Tien, Yamcha, and Android 21
- Stock Price Analysis of RSP Permian, Inc. (RSPP)
- Hazard, Sanchez Set to Start as Chelsea Host Arsenal in London Derby
- NC State to have 4 former QBs start Sunday in NFL
- When I Was Nominated: Emmy Awards Edition- Stephen Colbert
- Race - Hamilton wins dramatic wet-dry Grand Prix in Singapore
- Georgia Power warns of scam
- Hurricane Irma Damage In Florida Shown In Drone Video