And Mayo didn't get another chance after an absorbing contest.
The Connacht side have not won the Sam Maguire Cup since 1951, subsequently losing eight and drawing two of their 10 final appearances. Mick O'Dwyer (8) and Sean Boylan (4) are the only other members.More news: Hazard, Sanchez Set to Start as Chelsea Host Arsenal in London Derby
In addition, the fact that a large cohort of both panels studied and played football together at Dublin City University, adds an extra layer of familiarity between the teams. Heartbreakingly, this is now the second year in a row they've lost by one point to Dublin in the final, though they gave a heroic effort today that's nothing to regret.
Niall Scully, who came into the team as a late change for Eric Lowndes before the semi final, has kept his place.More news: Jordan Ayew's stubborn Swansea City frustrate Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley
Another long winter of painful retrospection awaits the county's remarkable band of loyal supporters. 'Even if the hopes you started out with are dashed, hope has to be maintained.
Ciaran Kilkenny, Con O'Callaghan, Eoghan O'Gara; Paul Mannion, Paddy Andrews, Dean Rock. As it stands, Mayo lead 0-09 to 1-05.More news: Trump to 'slap' foes, embrace friends in first United Nations speech, says envoy
MAYO: David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites); Brendan Harrison (Aghamore), Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis); Lee Keegan (Westport), Chris Barrett (Belmullet), Com Boyle (Davitts); Seamus O'Shea (Breaffy), Tom Parsons (Charlestown); Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore), Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy), Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber); Jason Doherty (Burrishoole), Cillian O'Connor (Ballintubber), Andy Moran (Ballaghaderreen).
- Four American tourists suffer acid attack outside Marseilles train station
- Halliburton Company (HAL.F) Analyst Recommendation
- Trump retweets video of golf ball hitting Hillary Clinton in the back
- Engine options 'limited' for Red Bull
- Red Bull and Renault Set to Split After 2018
- Jerry Jones Blocking Contract Extension For Roger Goodell
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds breaks Steam record for most concurrent players on the service
- Dragon Ball FighterZ adds Tien, Yamcha, and Android 21
- Klopp: Liverpool could have won every game
- Lewis Hamilton Wins Singapore Grand Prix