Vetttel was expectedly ecstatic after snatching the pole from Red Bull.
"I definitely didn't anticipate Ferrari to be as strong as they were, I thought Red Bull would be as quick as they were". But I am at the race so I have chefs here.More news: Power's out for 3.3 million so far in Florida
A beaming Ricciardo said after practice: "This is pretty expected, I'm not surprised, this is the way I wanted to start the weekend, but nothing is guaranteed".
Vettel cut a grim figure outside the Ferrari garage, reflecting on a night that did not go as planned.
Ferrari's engineers, both at the track and back at the factory in Maranello, had run through numerous set-ups, as test driver Charles Leclerc (who is set to win this year's Formula 2 title and will race for Sauber in F1 in 2018) undertook countless runs in the simulator. "But races aren't won on Saturdays".
Daniel Ricciardo, with six podiums in the last nine races, has looked in great form here - dominating Friday's two practice runs with then-record times and qualifying in third.
Certainly, Red Bull appear to have excellent race pace.
"It's down to us to produce a good vehicle, be competitive and then, of course, why would the drivers want to be anywhere else?" said Horner.More news: Power outages continue to drop in Georgia after Irma storm
Vettel had struggled considerably during second practice session, placing only 11th under the sticky floodlights.
"It's the worst case for us", Mercedes head of motorsport Toto Wolff said.
"It just highlights that we still have issues producing enough downforce and mechanical grip at a track like this, so that is an area we really need to work on".
Vettel also believed it would be a close race at the weekend and conceded he knows the Red Bulls will push him.
Red Bull had topped the timesheets in every session leading up to qualifying and had looked on course for their first front row lockout since the U.S. Grand Prix in 2013, with Verstappen also fastest in the opening two phases of qualifying. "As I said many times whatever I do next year is because I want to win".More news: Plane crashes near Glenwood Springs, kills family of 4
- Speaker Ryan Says Deporting Illegal Children Not In America's Interest
- Juggalos Flock To DC To Protest FBI Gang Label
- Despite Slow Start, Sooners Settle In, Beat Tulane 56-14
- Trump views aftermath in hurricane-ravaged Florida
- Crane hit with two four-shot penalties at Boise Open
- CBFC trims Sunny Leone's song in Sanjay Dutt's 'Bhoomi'!
- Wasteful Eagles record second scoreless draw in WAFU Cup
- Frustrated Jurgen Klopp berates fans as stuttering Liverpool draw with Burnley
- Nikki Haley to North Korea: 'No problem' letting Mattis deal with you
- Florida nursing home deaths spur efforts to protect elderly