Saturday, 26 May 2018
Latest news
Main » London police investigating 'incident' at subway station

London police investigating 'incident' at subway station

17 September 2017

"People who are traveling in London will see an increased armed police presence on the transport network and security will be increased".

A second man has been arrested in connection with a suspected terror attack on a London Underground train on Friday. For strong investigative reasons we would not provide more details on the man we arrested at this stage.

Daesh claimed other attacks in Britain this year, including two in London and one in Manchester.

Government officials raised the terror threat level from "severe" to "critical", after the blast which occurred as a train left Parsons Green station and caused a fire that swept through the subway auto on Friday. Residents said they were evacuated immediately as police established a huge cordon and imposed a no-fly zone above the property being searched.

More news: Russian Federation assists International Olympic Committee commissions in doping investigations - minister

The police were called at approximately 08:20 hrs on Friday to Parsons Green Underground Station following reports of an incident on a tube train. It only partially detonated, from inside a white plastic bucket hidden in a supermarket bag, police said.

Police identified the attacker using CCTV footage and a manhunt was underway Friday.

In the United Kingdom, a "critical" threat level implies the possibility of a further attack that is believed to be imminent.

Britain's terror threat level remains at "critical" - the highest level - meaning that authorities believe another attack is imminent.

More news: Liverpool 1/4 to win against Burnley in Saturday's Premier League clash

The Prime Minister said military personnel would replace police officers "on guard duties at certain protected sites which are not accessible to the public".

The Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS), which has said it was behind several attacks on Western cities in recent years, claimed responsibility through its news agency, Amaq.

The suspect is reportedly being held in a London area police station for questioning.

The Met said it had spoken to 45 witnesses so far and received 77 images and videos from the public, the BBC reported.

More news: Options for North Korea are 'effective and overwhelming'

London police investigating 'incident' at subway station