National Football League owners selected a compensation committee of six of their peers to negotiate Goodell's contract, and Jones is not one of the six.
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is "impeding" negotiations on National Football League commissioner Roger Goodell's proposed contract extension, according to ESPN. Jones will be included on the call, sources said.
Goodell's current deal expires in 2019 and was expected to have a deal done before the start of the season.
The members of the NFL's compensation committee include chairman Arthur Blank of the Falcons, Clark Hunt (Chiefs), Robert Kraft (Patriots), John Mara (Giants), Bob McNair (Texans) and Art Rooney II (Steelers).More news: Dragon Ball FighterZ adds Tien, Yamcha, and Android 21
While Jones has made it no secret that he is furious about Elliott's suspension, Mortensen and Schefter report that his issue with Goodell's proposed extension is more about how much money the commissioner is making.
"One person with direct involvement in those talks said that if it weren't for Jerry's involvement, Goodell's extension by now could be done".
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell makes more money than most anyone in the world of sports on an annual basis and most of the league's owners have been pretty happy to let him make that much as the NFL has reached record levels of prosperity on Goodell's watch.
So, while the battle in court goes on, the Cowboys owner might also be taking the fight to Goodell from another angle.More news: Jordan Ayew's stubborn Swansea City frustrate Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley
Still, despite that, Goodell is in overall good standing with the majority of the owners in the NFL.
One source even countered, insisting, "This is about money and a guy (Goodell) making way too much money on a grossly stupid contract for the job."
Jones was unavailable for comment.More news: Four American tourists suffer acid attack outside Marseilles train station
- Stock Price Analysis of RSP Permian, Inc. (RSPP)
- Blast kills 5 in northwest Pakistan
- Race - Hamilton wins dramatic wet-dry Grand Prix in Singapore
- Georgia teen's death at LSU frat house possible hazing incident
- PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds breaks Steam record for most concurrent players on the service
- Huntington National Bank Increases Position in JP Morgan Chase & Co (NYSE:JPM)
- Hazard, Sanchez Set to Start as Chelsea Host Arsenal in London Derby
- Denis Shapovalov earns win, Canada even with India at Davis Cup tie
- Katrina Kaif talks about her journey in 'Tiger Zinda Hai'
- Engine options 'limited' for Red Bull