Some 3.1 million homes and businesses, representing close to one-third of the state's population, were without power on Thursday in Florida and neighboring states.
Bichachi, who quit over a year ago, said the AC often shut down for two or three days at a time, baking the air in the 152-bed facility. It is only realistic to say that some deaths can be expected during, and especially after.
A woman went to check on her parents at about 8 p.m. Tuesday at the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills and shot a 34-second video of a fan running in their room with a window cracked on the second floor.More news: Jerry Jones Blocking Contract Extension For Roger Goodell
Officers and emergency workers were checking dozens of other assisted living facilities in the city with Hollywood Fire Rescue finding several patients "in varying degree of medical distress and immediately began treatment" when they arrived at the Hollywood Hills facility.
More calls to the governor's cell phone were made, according to the nursing home.
In all, firefighters evacuated 158 people from the nursing home.
While a nursing home has been at that location almost 50 years, the Rehabilitation Center's name and registration are only two years old.
Florida Gov. Rick Scott issued a statement Wednesday saying he is heartbroken and will "aggressively demands answers on how this tragic event took place". The facility called Scott's emergency number two more times, Defede said, as well as an emergency number in Tallahassee, and was repeatedly told that they were going to get help.
A statement from the nursing home, the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills, confirmed that it had a "prolonged power failure to the transformer which powered the facility's air conditioning system as a result of the hurricane".More news: Hazard, Sanchez Set to Start as Chelsea Host Arsenal in London Derby
- Some school districts in metro Atlanta and north Georgia have opted to keep their doors closed for a fourth day on Thursday due to damage and a lack of power in the wake of Irma.
Scott's statement said Florida's Agency for Health Care Administration and the Department of Children and Families also have launched investigations.
The deaths are under investigation as criminal homicides.
At a news conference, Florida Power & Light, the state's largest utility, said it serviced portions of the care facility. He added that Irma's death toll was a "very small number", considering the power of the storm.
One resident of the nursing home already was dead when police got a call at 4 a.m. Although the deaths of those will come under Hurricane Irma's devastating effect, still many people believe that the unfortunate incidence could have been avoided.
The Associated Press reported that before the deaths at the nursing home, Irma was blamed for a combined 19 fatalities in Florida, Georgia and SC.More news: Typhoon hits southwestern Japan, disrupting transport
- Donald Trump's Tweet On London Train Bombing Just Speculation, Says Britain Minister
- Rock-Solid Defense, Steady Offense Keep Gophers Unbeaten
- Dragon Ball FighterZ adds Tien, Yamcha, and Android 21
- Engine options 'limited' for Red Bull
- North Korea releases photos it claims are of latest missile test
- Bridgewater Associates LP Invests $931000 in Prudential Financial, Inc. (PRU) Stock
- Georgia Power warns of scam
- Denis Shapovalov earns win, Canada even with India at Davis Cup tie
- NC State to have 4 former QBs start Sunday in NFL
- Klopp: Liverpool could have won every game