Only two of the four women, who are 21 and 22, were hit directly in the face by the hydrochloric acid, and were hospitalized with burns.
It is understood the tourists were in gare Saint-Charles station just after 11am this morning when the attacker struck.More news: Trump retweets video of golf ball hitting Hillary Clinton in the back
Four female U.S. tourists have been attacked with acid in Marseille's main train station.
She did not have any more details and spoke on condition of anonymity, per the French judicial system.More news: Blast kills 5 in northwest Pakistan
There was no immediate information on where the USA tourists were from.
Two women suffered facial injuries and two other travellers, all in their twenties, were left nursing burns following the attack. Police do not believe the attack is terror related.More news: Singapore (Marina Bay) Formula 1 Grand Prix 2017 (Race Results & Highlights)
In January 2016, a 15-year-old Turkish Kurd was arrested after attacking a Jewish teacher on a Marseille street.
- Katrina Kaif talks about her journey in 'Tiger Zinda Hai'
- Analysts Ratings on: Helix Energy Solutions Group, Inc. (HLX)
- Capital International Inc. CA Buys Shares of 30400 Barrick Gold Corporation (ABX)
- Trump Visits Florida to Assess Hurricane Irma Damage
- Georgia teen's death at LSU frat house possible hazing incident
- Red Bull and Renault Set to Split After 2018
- Apple Watch Series 3 vs Apple Watch Series 2: should you upgrade?
- How Analysts Feel About Berendsen PLC (LON:BRSN)?
- Arsene Wenger: Alexis Sanchez 'well loved' at Arsenal and 'happy'
- IPhone X destroys top Android rivals on Geekbench