Police have said they believe the slayings of two black men were likely racially motivated and are holding a white suspect in the case.
Gleason was linked to the two murders through shell casings from the shootings, and his auto matches a description of the suspect vehicle, according to Baton Rouge Police Sergeant L'Jean McKneely.
Gleason was arrested after detectives said they found illegal drugs while searching his home, according to East Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office deputies.More news: Lewis Hamilton wins Singapore Grand Prix after Sebastian Vettel crashes out
Shell casings from each killing matched and a auto belonging to the person of interest fitted the description of the vehicle police were looking for, McKneely said.
"I can not say", she told the AP. He declined to say what the evidence was.
"There is a strong possibility that it could be racially motivated", he added.More news: Nawaz Sharif 'Saadiq', 'Ameen' irrespective of Panama verdict: Maryam
The first shooting happened Tuesday when 59-year-old Bruce Cofield - who was believed to be homeless - was gunned down on a roadway.
A neighbor of Gleason's told the AP that he seemed like a "clean-cut American kid" and that it was "hard to believe this sort of thing is still happening".
According to the AP, authorities suspect the killings, which happened approximately 5 miles from one another, are connected because of shell casings found at each of the crime scenes. Gleason admitted ownership of the marijuana after he was read his Miranda rights. McKneely says police do not yet have enough evidence to charge him with murder.More news: What is Sunil Grover doing with Varun Dhawan? View pic
- Kuwait to expel Pyongyang ambassador following US-North Korea tensions
- North Korea releases photos it claims are of latest missile test
- Oyo raises $10 million strategic funding from China Lodging Group
- Bangladesh to limit movement of Rohingya
- Pirate Bay 'borrows' visitor CPUs to mine virtual coins
- NC State to have 4 former QBs start Sunday in NFL
- Keller Chryst struggles mightily in San Diego State upset
- Tropical storms Maria and Lee follow in wakes of Irma, Jose
- Korea of military options
- Hurricane Irma Damage In Florida Shown In Drone Video