However, there will be no love lost between the clubs when they face off on Sunday (17 September) as the Blues seek revenge for their FA Cup defeat last season, when the Gunners emerged 2-1 victors on the final day of the season at Wembley.
Wenger's conservative tactics from the outset were clearly predicated on keeping things tight, but his gameplan was almost capped with the flawless ending with Mustafi heading home only to be called back from his celebrations by the linesman's flag.
There was a late twist to the game as David Luiz was shown a a straight red card for a studs up tackle on full back Kolasinac. Such belief is an advantage that his Arsenal counterpart Arsene Wenger can only now dream about. Even had a shot blocked in a unsafe area as Arsenal pushed for a late victor.More news: Brathwaite, Narine star as Windies take one-off T20I
Aaron Ramsey (R) put in a tidy shift on Sunday! A fine all-round display.
If Arsene Wenger wants any hope of defeating Chelsea, he will need to play his strongest team, which he failed to do against Liverpool when he left Alexandre Lacazette and Kolasinac on the bench.
The decision came in the 87th minute of Chelsea's 0-0 draw with Arsenal. And with a bit more freedom, less inhibition, we could really have won this game with one or two goals difference.
Ramsey barged by Cesar Azpilicueta and Luiz before prodding a shot against the post.More news: German man's penis gets stuck in gym weight plate, rescue effort takes 3 hours
However, Welbeck was forced off midway through the second period after going down clutching his groin and he limped off to be replaced by Olivier Giroud in the 73rd minute. A hip injury on 73 minutes ended his afternoon. Never looked like winning the game.
Conte has also identified the areas where Bakayoko can improve his overall game further, and Chelsea would seem to be the ideal place for him to continue that develop, having seen the progress of Kante since he joined from Leicester a little over a year ago.
Mohamed Elneny (for Iwobi, 79), N/R - Brought on to shut the game down.
The spectre of Costa inevitably hung over this game given the significance of his contributions to this fixture in recent times, but Morata is a more than able replacement on the evidence of his fledgling Chelsea career.More news: Fuel shortage prompts flight cancellations at Auckland Airport
- Lewis Hamilton wins Singapore Grand Prix after Sebastian Vettel crashes out
- Is AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc (AMC) a Buy? The Stock Rises Again
- Kuwait to expel Pyongyang ambassador following US-North Korea tensions
- Australia's chase in first ODI delayed by rain
- Fake iPhone Xs are Already Being Sold in China For $100
- Hurricane Irma Damage In Florida Shown In Drone Video
- Bangladesh to limit movement of Rohingya
- Baton Rouge Killings of 2 Black Men Likely Racially Motivated, Cops Say
- Race - Hamilton wins dramatic wet-dry Grand Prix in Singapore
- Dolphins LB Lawrence Timmons isn't now with the team