Reports that an American is in the custody of the mostly Kurdish Syrian Democratic Forces were not disputed by USA officials, but they withheld further comment.
In Syria, whatever the U.S. decides to do will be totally independent of the Syrian government's position.
A fighter of Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) is seen in the eastern part of Deir al Zor, Syria September 12, 2017.
The SDF accused Damascus of trying to obstruct its fighters.More news: Get 60GB data with this simple step
Such attacks "waste energies that should be used against terrorism, threaten the security of the region, and open the door to side conflicts", it said.
He said that five ISIS fighters, clutching leaflets urging surrender dropped by the US on Raqqa in eastern Syria, had turned themselves into the SDF but that a USA citizen was not among them.
The Pentagon's referral to the Justice Department indicated that the new American detainee would also be turned over to federal courts.
The strike occurred early Saturday, hitting an area east of the Euphrates River, near the city of Deir Ezzor.
"We have requested explanations from the Russian Government", he told Reuters.More news: Apple iPhone 8 Major Rumor Confirmed?
Syrian regime forces are fighting for Dayr Az Zawr southeast of Raqqa, while SDF continues its offensive north of that city.
But while Dillon acknowledged that the US-backed fighters would not go into the city, he said there were plenty of other ISIS targets farther down the river.
"I'm not saying this will happen tomorrow ... but this is the strategic intent", Bouthaina Shaaban said in a TV interview.
A tank in Deir al Zour, where the Syrian army is fighting ISIS.
Islamic State's declaration in 2014 of a "caliphate" spanning both countries effectively collapsed in July, when an Iraqi offensive captured Mosul, the militants' capital in Iraq.More news: Hamas agrees to steps towards Palestinian unity
The deal gave safe passage to 600 people, including ISIS fighters and their families, across the Syrian desert from the Lebanese border in southwestern Syria and to the border with Iraq.
- Russian Federation assists International Olympic Committee commissions in doping investigations - minister
- Tigers' September pitching misery returns in 10-4 loss to White Sox
- Olympic Games: Paris in 2024 and Los Angeles in 2028
- Liverpool 1/4 to win against Burnley in Saturday's Premier League clash
- Key Equifax executives departing after huge data breach
- Plane in Paris heading to London is surrounded by police
- China says United States should stop issuing threats to North Korea
- One shot for all vaccines? Study holds promise
- International Business Machines (NYSE:IBM) Shorted Shares Increased By 5.01%
- Volunteer Franklin Township firefighter suspended amid alleged racist comments