Seattle Mayor Ed Murray resigned on Tuesday only hours after a fifth allegation surfaced that he sexually abused a younger cousin decades ago in NY.
Joseph Dyer came forward Tuesday with new charges of sexual abuse, accusing Murray of molesting him in his mother's Long Island home in the 1970's, when Dyer was only 13.
All five accusers say that they were teenagers when the alleged abuse occurred.
Murray said in his statement that he was proud of what he accomplished in almost two decades in the state legislature, and during his tenure as mayor, citing the $15 minimum wage, progressive housing affordability and police accountability legislation, along with negotiating the agreement with the Oak View Group to renovate KeyArena, which he believes, "in time will bring the National Hockey League and NBA to Seattle".
"I am announcing my resignation as mayor, effective at 5 p.m. tomorrow".More news: Man City man blames Mane for not pulling out of challenge
Murray announced in May that he wouldn't be running for re-election, but continued to maintain that he meant to serve out his term.
One of the men filed a lawsuit against the mayor in April, alleging that Murray "repeatedly criminally raped and molested" him when he was a homeless 15-year-old in the 1980s.
He spoke of longstanding problems with Dyer's side of the family, and accused them of seeing him "down and out, and they want to finish me off".
As a young man, he considered joining the priesthood and spent a year at a seminary in 1976 before studying sociology at the University of Portland, a private Catholic institution.
But Murray, a nationally known champion of gay rights and progressive causes, had resisted calls to resign.More news: Merkel suggests Iran-style nuclear talks to end North Korea crisis
Anderson, Murray's mentor, died in 1995.
Born in Aberdeen and a graduate of Lacey's Timberline High School, Murray climbed through the political ranks after he was appointed to fill a vacant state House seat in 1995. He withdrew in May from the Seattle mayor's race, saying the campaign should be focused on issues, not scandal.
Murray kept his promise about the minimum wage increase.
After Trump was elected last fall, Murray became a frequent critic.
La Corte reported from Olympia, Washington.More news: Delta Air Lines INC (DAL) Stake Has Increased by Strs Ohio
- The Chainsmokers Do BTS Collaboration 'Best of Me'
- DoD: About 10000 possibly stranded in Florida Keys
- Doctors talk Florida woman through delivering baby at home as Irma rages
- Irma Aftermath: Florida East Coast May Have Power Back by Sunday
- South Africa's Tutu asks Myanmar's Suu Kyi to help Rohingyas
- Transport safety body rules safeguards 'were lacking' in deadly Tesla crash
- Nexus Android 8.0 Oreo Release Delay Continues
- FCA issues total loss warning on Bitcoin boom
- Percentage Price Oscillator Histogram Above Zero for Wells Fargo & Co
- Kazakhstan backs new UN Security Council sanctions against North Korea