"By openly discussing suicide; recognizing risk factors such as mental illness, trauma, substance abuse, and unemployment; and deploying help to those who need it, we will find hope and prevent untimely deaths", he continued.
He added, "We are also launching a new section of our Safety Center with additional resources about suicide prevention and online well being".
How to 'Take a Minute, Change a Life'
President Trump marked World Suicide Prevention Day on Sunday, encouraging Americans to have an open discussion about the issue.
The World Health Organization reports about 800,000 people commit suicide every year.More news: Hurricane Harvey: Former presidents join forces for hurricane relief
"Behind these statistics are the individual stories of those who have, for many different reasons, questioned the value of their own lives", Mr Kofie said.
The report also indicates one third of respondents drew a link between suicide and thoughtlessness, calling out people who die by suicide as "irresponsible". "Take a minute, change a life", is the theme for 2017's awareness day.More news: Department of Defense Aids Preparation, Response Efforts for Hurricane Irma
"Again, as community members, even the offer of a gentle word of support and listening in a non-judgmental way could make all the difference between someone taking his/her life or helping that someone to overcome it", he said.
That is why raising awareness about suicide prevention is key to saving a life before it is too late.More news: Tyrod Taylor Will Play in Week 1 vs. Jets After Concussion
"Someone in distress will always be helped by being listened to with compassion and empathy", Pirkis is quoted as saying by the Metro.
- Kim Jong-un calls latest n-test 'great victory'
- South Korea: US missile defense system to be fully installed Thursday
- Irish set for Fromm, Georgia
- Jared Leto blinded himself for his role in Blade Runner 2049
- TN oppn urges Gov to order floor test
- Pedroia Homers, Red Sox Cruise Past Rays 9-0
- Fenerbahce still in talks to take Diego Costa on loan from Chelsea
- Hurricane Irma Forces Dolphin Evacuation From Northern Cuba
- Veteran actress BV Radha passes away on Sunday
- Putin Warns of North Korea Threat But Criticizes Sanctions