"By openly discussing suicide; recognizing risk factors such as mental illness, trauma, substance abuse, and unemployment; and deploying help to those who need it, we will find hope and prevent untimely deaths", he continued.
He added, "We are also launching a new section of our Safety Center with additional resources about suicide prevention and online well being".
How to 'Take a Minute, Change a Life'
President Trump marked World Suicide Prevention Day on Sunday, encouraging Americans to have an open discussion about the issue.
The World Health Organization reports about 800,000 people commit suicide every year.More news: South Korea: US missile defense system to be fully installed Thursday
"Behind these statistics are the individual stories of those who have, for many different reasons, questioned the value of their own lives", Mr Kofie said.
The report also indicates one third of respondents drew a link between suicide and thoughtlessness, calling out people who die by suicide as "irresponsible". "Take a minute, change a life", is the theme for 2017's awareness day.More news: As Hurricane Irma approaches, Dolphins relocating operations to California
"Again, as community members, even the offer of a gentle word of support and listening in a non-judgmental way could make all the difference between someone taking his/her life or helping that someone to overcome it", he said.
That is why raising awareness about suicide prevention is key to saving a life before it is too late.More news: USA formally requests United Nations vote on North Korea on Monday
"Someone in distress will always be helped by being listened to with compassion and empathy", Pirkis is quoted as saying by the Metro.
- Tyrod Taylor Will Play in Week 1 vs. Jets After Concussion
- Akiem Hicks, Bears Reportedly Agree to 4-Year, $48 Million Contract Extension
- Jared Leto blinded himself for his role in Blade Runner 2049
- Veteran actress BV Radha passes away on Sunday
- More than 50 animals found tethered to trees in Florida county
- Irish set for Fromm, Georgia
- Putin warns crisis with North Korea 'may become a global catastrophe'
- Alexis Sanchez will win Arsenal fans back, says Wenger
- Schumer threatens add Dream Act to all bills that move this fall
- Pedroia Homers, Red Sox Cruise Past Rays 9-0