Yet the Democratic leaders later emerged from a meeting with Trump, Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., saying they had agreed on the Harvey money and the short-term extensions through December 15.
"Republican leaders pushed for [an] 18-month debt limit hike, then floated 6 months".
The appeal of Trump for lots and lots of voters - especially Republicans - was that he had, quite literally, written the book on deal-making.
"The President encouraged Congressional leaders to find a more permanent solution to the debt ceiling so the vote is not so frequently politicized", said White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders.
Trump says he hopes to get her support on the plan he's pushing to cut business and personal income taxes and simplify the tax code.More news: Second Round of NAFTA Talks Ends With Major Issues Unresolved
The image began circulating nearly immediately on social media.
Trump's deal also punts - again - funding for a downpayment on his promised border wall.
The deal promises to speed a $7.9 billion Harvey aid bill, which passed the House Wednesday, to Trump's desk before disaster accounts run out later this week.
A top Republican close to leadership captures the prevailing sentiment on Capitol Hill today: "Dems bluffed their way into total victory".
Rep. Roger Williams supports sending billions for Harvey aid, but said in a statement early Wednesday he was "disappointed there has been mention of combining this critical funding with a debt ceiling increase".More news: Outgoing Vanity Fair Editor Made a Wall of Trump's Hate Tweets
A three-month resolution of the debt-ceiling problem is shorter than Republican leaders prefer.
Republican Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell distanced himself from the decision, referring to it as a deal between Trump and Democrats.
Trump brought the state's congressional delegation along with him on Air Force One and at one point invited them up on stage. Raising the debt ceiling - a necessary act for the executive to pay bills that the legislature has already deemed by law it must pay - had been uncontroversial for decades.
Later in the day, the White House began arguing that the deal was actually a win for Trump, because it kicked several hard issues from September to December and allowed Trump to focus exclusively on tax reform this month.More news: Central Minnesota high school banned flags on vehicles, until protests began
- First police-involved shooting in NYC caught on body camera
- (RCL) is down at $118.82 Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Raises…
- BJP Karnataka Chief Yeddyurappa, Other Leaders Detained At 'Mangaluru Chalo' Rally
- Cavaliers already shopping pick acquired in Kyrie Irving trade
- China Businesses Ready for Cooperation With Russian Far East - Regional Official
- Department Of Education Announces Free School Lunch For All Students
- Military hysteria over N Korea could lead to catastrophe: Putin
- Arsenal Manager Arsene Wenger Has No Concerns Over Alexis Sanchez
- Gas prices rise to highest since September 2015
- Boomer opens up on Craig Carton 'love', future of show