A horrific fire caused by a auto doing burnouts has left one man fighting for his life and 11 other people seriously injured.
Thousands of spectators attended the event in an area outside of the town of Alice Springs, which was halted after the auto sprayed burning gasoline over the audience.
The incident is believed to have occurred during one of the last events of the day. "One patient is in a critical condition and the remaining 11 are in a serious but stable condition".More news: 'Massive military response' if North Korea attacks USA , defence chief threatens
Footage of the incident was uploaded to Facebook.
"St Johns has treated and transported 12 patients with varying degrees of burns and injuries", he said.
One person has been left in critical condition with 11 others injured at Alice Springs Drag Way.More news: Lance Stroll becomes F1's youngest driver to start on front-row
Red Centre NATS said in a statement the racing event was cancelled after the fire.
"Their main concern was for the people involved".
A Northern Territory Health Department spokeswoman said the injured spectators are now in the Emergency Department at Alice Springs Hospital.More news: IPL media rights: BCCI set to earn big bucks
"Due to the incident, the organisers ceased the competition so the focus can be on the people who are in need of assistance". Police are investigating the incident, according to the BBC.
- I have an extremely competent successor in Nirmala Sitharaman: Defence Minister Jaitley
- Meet Jaguar's new connected Sayer steering wheel of the future
- China asks North Korea to stop wrong actions after nuclear test
- Trump donates $1M to Harvey relief efforts
- Varun Dhawan Wants To Attract A New Type Of Audience Now
- Sopore encounter: Security forces gun down 2 Hizbul terrorists in Baramulla district
- USA shoots down medium-range ballistic missile in Hawaii test
- Sharapova in, Cilic out of US Open
- Maëlys de Araujo: Man charged with kidnap of missing girl
- Tropical Storm Lidia dumps heavy rain in Mexico