A horrific fire caused by a auto doing burnouts has left one man fighting for his life and 11 other people seriously injured.
Thousands of spectators attended the event in an area outside of the town of Alice Springs, which was halted after the auto sprayed burning gasoline over the audience.
The incident is believed to have occurred during one of the last events of the day. "One patient is in a critical condition and the remaining 11 are in a serious but stable condition".More news: Kapil Sharma's Show Suddenly Goes Off the Air: Sony Clarifies
Footage of the incident was uploaded to Facebook.
"St Johns has treated and transported 12 patients with varying degrees of burns and injuries", he said.
One person has been left in critical condition with 11 others injured at Alice Springs Drag Way.More news: Trump donates $1M to Harvey relief efforts
Red Centre NATS said in a statement the racing event was cancelled after the fire.
"Their main concern was for the people involved".
A Northern Territory Health Department spokeswoman said the injured spectators are now in the Emergency Department at Alice Springs Hospital.More news: China asks North Korea to stop wrong actions after nuclear test
"Due to the incident, the organisers ceased the competition so the focus can be on the people who are in need of assistance". Police are investigating the incident, according to the BBC.
- J&K: Security forces launch CASO in Sapore, two terrorists trapped
- Deondre Francois' injury ends 'Noles Playoff hopes
- Sensex Falls 190 Points On North Korea Tensions, Nifty Holds 9900
- Trash collection delayed around holiday
- Maëlys de Araujo: Man charged with kidnap of missing girl
- North Korea's nuclear tests: How should Trump respond?
- Venus Williams joins fellow American Sloane Stephens in US Open quarter-finals
- US Threatens Pyongyang With Massive Military Response
- Varun Dhawan Wants To Attract A New Type Of Audience Now
- USA shoots down medium-range ballistic missile in Hawaii test