A DAY after he was granted bail by Supreme Court in the 2008 Malegaon blast case, Lieutenant Colonel Prasad Purohit Tuesday said the Army had stood behind him. Purohit will be joining army unit in Pune within 24 hours of his release today.
The apex court granted bail to Purohit, who spent nine years in prison.More news: Rawalpindi NAB decides to summon Sharif family
Seven persons were killed and scores injured in the blast considered the handiwork of a right-wing group, Abhinav Bharat.
Purohit has also been directed to appear in the court as and when he will be directed.
While granting bail, the apex court said, "we set aside order of Bombay High court". The court has also ordered Purohit against threatening or enticing anyone acquainted with facts of the case. Congress leader Abdul Bagwan said since the NIA was lax Purohit secured bail. "I just want to get back to serving my country", he said. Expressing his strong desire to join duty, he said, "I want to wear my uniform and return to the Army". If they find that the claims I made were right, senior commanders will decide on whether they should seek action. Released on conditional bail by the Supreme Court, Lt Colonel Purohit has reached Colaba military station.More news: Barcelona suspect tells court bigger attack was planned
On September 29, 2008, a bomb kept on a motorcycle exploded near Hamidia Masjid in Malegaon, a communally sensitive textile town in Nasik district of north Maharashtra.
Sadhvi Pragya has been granted relief in the case by the Bombay High Court.
Granting bail, a bench of Justice R.K. Agrawal and Justice Abhay Manohar Sapre said: "In our considered opinion, there are material contradictions in the charge sheets filed by the ATS Mumbai and the NIA which are required to be tested at the time of trial and this court can not pick or choose one version over the other". The NIA had filed its reply in the case, saying that there was ample evidence against Purohit, but not against her.More news: Saudi teenager arrested for dancing to Macarena on street
- WWE SmackDown Live Results, Your Feedback And Viewing Party
- Benitez dismisses claims he's fault for Newcastle negativity
- NY 14-year-old dies after collapsing at football practice
- GE boss Jeff Immelt frontrunner for Uber CEO post
- Le'Veon Bell says he will return to Steelers on September 1
- Johnson Johnson is Highland Capital Management LLC's 5th Biggest Stake
- The Redmi Note 5A Features An FPC1035 Sensor
- ESPN broadcaster Robert Lee pulled from Virginia football opener because of name
- Symptoms of solar eclipse eye damage
- Hacked Tiger Woods and Lindsey Vonn photos lead to legal show-down