"My only thing is, if the police department knew this was going to go on, they should have told people in their cars to leave and come back at 9 a.m.", she said of the people who waited in line for hours before the library was supposed to open. The Space Science Institute's National Center for Interactive Learning distributed more than 2 million eclipse glasses to libraries nationwide.
The rest of North America will experience a partial eclipse, where the moon blocks only a portion of the solar disk.
"I wanted to provide as much information as I could in a short amount of time to individuals who were coming into the library about safety", she said.More news: Michael Jackson's ex-attorney to defend Cosby
The library will give away a limited supply of solar eclipse glasses starting at 12:30 p.m. "We don't have eclipses very often, so people may not realize you need to be safe and protect your vision during the eclipse".
Topeka police officers stood outside the entrance of the library periodically shouting, "They're gone, the glasses are gone".
Mary Rindfleisch, the library's assistant director, said the turnout greatly exceeded her expectations.More news: Results of Maharashtra Board HSC supplementary exam declared, 24.96 % pass
The library applied for a grant a few years ago to order 1,000 glasses.
Experts say the eclipse will start at 1:25 this afternoon, with maximum coverage at 2:45, ending around 4:00.
Parts of the US will be able to see a total eclipse of the sun for the first time in nearly 40 years, according to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. "We will just get to hang out as a community and watch the eclipse, weather permitting".More news: Operation Khyber-4 successfully completed: ISPR
If the day turns out to be cloudy, the event will be moved indoors to Room 105 Jordan Hall for a discussion and a video stream.
- Justin Theroux says Jennifer Aniston marriage is based on humor
- Microsoft to publish PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds for Xbox One
- Age of Empires IV Announced at Gamescom
- Broad Hoping Partnership With Anderson Continues Till 2019 Ashes
- Energy Transfer Partners, LP (ETP) Reached a 52-Week Low
- Vietnamese Sailor Rescued From Philippine Militants' Camp After Nine Months
- James Mattis: Reduction in USA troops not North Korea related
- What Will Become Of Confederate Statues Taken Down At UT?
- Powerball jackpot soars to $650M with no big victor on Saturday
- Which insiders are trading General Electric Company (GE)?