Incidentally, eight of the 11 accidents in 2010 alone took place in the Indo Gangetic Plain (IGP).
Khatauli is around 40km from Muzaffarnagar. The rescuers were seen using gas cutters to cut the steel and help the people trapped inside the coaches. "It seems all (concerned employees) will be suspended", he says.More news: Dems risk culture war fight in Charlottesville response
Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu said $5,500 will be given each to the families of those killed, $780 to those seriously injured and $390 to those with minor injuries. He said he was personally monitoring the situation and strict action will be taken in case of any lapse.
Authorities have rushed police and disaster response force personnel to the spot to carry out rescue work. Medical vans have also been rushed to the site. "It's too dark to launch a full fledged search operation, but our teams are trying their best", said Ajay Pandey, a senior police officer at the site.
"Railways Ministry and Uttar Pradesh Government are doing everything possible and providing all assistance required in wake of the train derailment", Modi said. In Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh ADG (Law and Order) Anand Kumar said that top priority was being accorded to ensure prompt rescue and relief work.More news: Another Melbourne council follows suit dumps Australia Day
In November previous year, 14 coaches of the Patna-bound Indore-Rajendranagar Express train derailed between Pokhrayan and Malasa stations in Uttar Pradesh, killing 152 passengers and injuring 183.
Two of the tourists died in the accident and 15 were injured. "We rescued more than 40 passengers, I think there were at least 100 people injured", said Mohanmod Hansari, a local villager.
A 2016 parliamentary standing committee report said that a total of 239 accidents have happened on the network of the Indian Railways between 2003 to 2015, and 80% of all accidents have happened because of derailments.More news: Trump's Shortsighted Tirades at Republicans Could Hurt Him
- How to make your own solar eclipse viewers
- Selena Gomez' Instagram doppelganger is breaking the internet!
- S.Korea, US begin annual military drills
- WhatsApp Status is now available on the web
- USA general pledges to defend Japan from North Korean attack
- The Total Solar Eclipse Is Finally Here And The Photos Don't Disappoint
- US, South Korean Troops Drill Amid Standoff with North
- Mental evaluation ordered for man accused of killing 3 girls
- First round of NAFTA talks conclude between US, Canada and Mexico
- Simona Halep Apologises to Fans After Garbine Muguruza mauling