Incidentally, eight of the 11 accidents in 2010 alone took place in the Indo Gangetic Plain (IGP).
Khatauli is around 40km from Muzaffarnagar. The rescuers were seen using gas cutters to cut the steel and help the people trapped inside the coaches. "It seems all (concerned employees) will be suspended", he says.More news: Calpine Corporation (NYSE:CPN) Touching Most Active List Today
Railways Minister Suresh Prabhu said $5,500 will be given each to the families of those killed, $780 to those seriously injured and $390 to those with minor injuries. He said he was personally monitoring the situation and strict action will be taken in case of any lapse.
Authorities have rushed police and disaster response force personnel to the spot to carry out rescue work. Medical vans have also been rushed to the site. "It's too dark to launch a full fledged search operation, but our teams are trying their best", said Ajay Pandey, a senior police officer at the site.
"Railways Ministry and Uttar Pradesh Government are doing everything possible and providing all assistance required in wake of the train derailment", Modi said. In Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh ADG (Law and Order) Anand Kumar said that top priority was being accorded to ensure prompt rescue and relief work.More news: USA general pledges to defend Japan from North Korean attack
In November previous year, 14 coaches of the Patna-bound Indore-Rajendranagar Express train derailed between Pokhrayan and Malasa stations in Uttar Pradesh, killing 152 passengers and injuring 183.
Two of the tourists died in the accident and 15 were injured. "We rescued more than 40 passengers, I think there were at least 100 people injured", said Mohanmod Hansari, a local villager.
A 2016 parliamentary standing committee report said that a total of 239 accidents have happened on the network of the Indian Railways between 2003 to 2015, and 80% of all accidents have happened because of derailments.More news: Alibaba Group Holding Limited (BABA) Rating Reiterated by Barclays PLC
- Katy Perry would love for Taylor Swift feud to end
- Another Melbourne council follows suit dumps Australia Day
- NKorea slams joint US-South war games
- BMW M5 offers 600 horsepower of drift-mode fun
- Google Android 8.0 Oreo: Everything you need to know
- Don't take a selfie with the solar eclipse
- A Brisbane venue refuses entry to Denmark's Prince Frederik over his ID
- S.Korea, US begin annual military drills
- Trump slams two GOP senators who criticized him on Charlottesville
- Trump's Shortsighted Tirades at Republicans Could Hurt Him