"Our values and commitment to diversity are critical as we work to address the impact of cancer in every community", the American Cancer Society said in announcing it would move two 2018 events, a dinner for sponsors and its 60th anniversary gala, from the president's Palm Beach estate.
In a statement, Andrew Aiken, the zoo's CEO and president, said the organization chose to cancel plans to host its 2018 fundraising gala at the private Palm Beach club in order to avoid "distractions".
Photo Credit: U.S. President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida, is losing events business in the wake of the President's remarks about the white supremacist rally and counter protests in Charlottesville.More news: UFBU led Bank Strike on August 22nd, to protest against government reforms
"After thoughtful consideration by zoo leadership, we have decided it is important that we not allow distractions to deter us from our mission and culture", said the organization's CEO and president, Andrew Aiken, in a statement.
But several organisations are having a change of heart since Trump blamed "both sides" for the deadly violence in Charlottesville, Virginia, after a white nationalist rally and an attack by a driver that left a woman dead.
Two organizations that have announced plans to hold events at Mar-a-Lago in the coming months confirmed they'll go ahead with their plans.More news: Results of Maharashtra Board HSC supplementary exam declared, 24.96 % pass
The Salvation Army also pulled its Holiday Snow Ball off the venue's events list "because the conversation has shifted away from the objective of this event", spokesperson Kurt Watkins said.
"After considerable deliberation, AFMDA - an apolitical and humanitarian aid organization - will not hold its 2018 Palm Beach Celebration of Life Gala at Mar-a-Lago".
Four other charities said they would cancel luncheons planned at Mar-a-Lago, including the Ryan Licht Sang Bipolar Foundation, Morselife, Hearing the Ovarian Cancer Whisper and Big Dog Ranch Rescue. The organization declined to give a reason.
The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.More news: 'Zero Chance' US Congress Does Not Raise Debt Ceiling - McConnell
- Justin Theroux says Jennifer Aniston marriage is based on humor
- James Mattis: Reduction in USA troops not North Korea related
- Michael Jackson's ex-attorney to defend Cosby
- Prosecutors will treat online abuse as severely as hate crimes in person
- Comerica Bank Has $7.58 Million Position in Anadarko Petroleum Corporation (APC)
- Submarine owner says missing reporter died in accident
- Robson-Kanu sent off after scoring victor for West Brom
- Vietnamese Sailor Rescued From Philippine Militants' Camp After Nine Months
- Microsoft to publish PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds for Xbox One
- Energy Transfer Partners, LP (ETP) Reached a 52-Week Low