"Official Host Cities included in the bid will be critical to the successful United Bid of Canada, Mexico and the United States to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup and we look forward to working with all levels of government and our stakeholders to find the best possible candidate cities in Canada", stated Peter Montopoli, Canada Bid Director and Canada Soccer General Secretary.
A total of 48 teams will participate in what will be the largest World Cup field ever.
The United Bid Committee of Canada, Mexico and the United States released a list of 49 potential venues in 44 cities on Tuesday.
Charlotte officials won't say definitively whether they will apply to host, but they're considering it.
The Bay Area is among the communities being considered to play host to the 2026 World Cup, the three-country bid committee announced.More news: Deputies: DUI suspect drove with unrestrained toddler standing in back seat
North America and Morocco have said they are bidding to host the 2026 World Cup.
The application process is a lengthy and involved process.
At this point, municipal leaders in each city have been asked to provide information on their city's transportation infrastructure, past experience hosting major sporting events, available accommodation and much more.
If Charlotte decides to pursue the application, it would require heavy involvement from the Carolina Panthers, whose stadium has a capacity of 75,000.
There are also questions about whether natural grass is required to host the event. But the city isn't taking advantage. The matchup between Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea drew more than 61,200 fans there in 2015.More news: Spanish police thwart second terrorist attack, kill several suspects
U.S. Bank Stadium, as a turf surface, would need to install grass ahead of the matches.
Late September or early October: Short list of about 30 cities identified.
"It's exciting to be seen and recognized as a potential host city for something like the FIFA World Cup", Morrison said.
That is a possibility with the United States now the favorite to be awarded the 2026 World Cup.
At least 12 cities could ultimately serve as hosts, the Bid Committee said in a statement.More news: Top Trump economic adviser Cohn not leaving: White House official
- Barty bows out after giant-killing run
- Rabbi that oversaw Ivanka Trump's conversion joins chorus criticizing president's Charlottesville response
- Raiders' Sean Smith arrested, charged with assault in Pasadena
- Top US military official arrives South Korea amid North Korea tension
- Trump Slams CEOs Who Quit Manufacturing Council Over Charlottesville as 'Grandstanders'
- New Justice League poster finally stops pretending Superman is dead
- You can damage your eyes in mere seconds during the solar eclipse
- Best we ever had: Drake's record "Billboard" Hot 100 streak goes cold
- Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. (CLF) Rating Lowered to Sell at BidaskClub
- Dozen US sailors to be punished for deadly June collision: Admiral