Kodaikanal: Attended by a small group of friends from activists circle and a large media contingent, Manipur rights activist Irom Sharmila (45) tied the nuptial knot with her British boyfriend Desmond Coutinho (55) here on Thursday and vowed to continue her struggle against injustice.
Earlier, the bride and the groom walked all the way from the bride's house near the Observatory to the Sub-Registrar's office which is located at Moonjikkal.More news: Campbell Soup CEO resigns from Trump council just before he disbands it
They reached the venue at 10.50 am. "It is a matter of great pride for the state to have her marriage solemnised here". However, the ceremony was slightly delayed because Desmond failed to produce his original passport.
The couple had submitted their application for marriage registration under the Special Marriage Act on July 12 and the Sub-Registrar had called for objections, if any, within 30 days time. The district police had arranged for tight security. Later, the sub-registrar's office conducted an inquiry and questioned Mahindran. They then left for their home by vehicle.More news: FUTA ASUU criticises FG over removal of staff school from payroll
Divya, the director of short film Kakkoos and Leelavathi, president of Palani Hill Adhivasikal Koottamaippu, were among those present.
The wedding was objected to by a local activist V Mahendran, who contended that if the couple stayed in the hills, tribals in the area would face law and order problems. "The deep pain inflicting me is her failure to keep her promise - ending her fast against the Armed Forces Special Powers Act", said the frail octogenarian".More news: Tina Fey blasts Trump, Nazis in return to 'SNL'
However, the sub-registrar rejected the objection, clearing the decks for Ms Sharmila's wedding with Mr Coutinho.
- Firefighters tackle huge warehouse blaze in Glasgow
- United Nations experts warn: Racism, xenophobia increasing across US
- US Attorney Requests Information on Visitors to Anti-Trump Website
- Tata Sons asks group firms to cut all ties with Mistry's group
- Mixed reaction to Paladino's removal from school board
- Another Episode of 'Game of Thrones' Has Leaked
- Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact concept leaked online, shows off boxy design
- Threat of strong storms looms Thursday afternoon and evening
- The Economist and The New Yorker cover slam Trump
- Federation Internationale de Football Association introduced contenders for the title of coach of the year